4 - 5 days in Hatfield starting 5/1 -- Join or offer advice?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
Dustybottoms

4 - 5 days in Hatfield starting 5/1 -- Join or offer advice?

Post by Dustybottoms » April 21st, 2015, 12:03 pm

I'm thinking about a hike through Hatfield, along the lines of what parkyung did here: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... t=hatfield

Leaving May 1 or 2. I'm not from the area so would love a partner--let me know if interested?

Would also love any input from people who know the area. Looks like snow will be okay then? Also, who makes best map of the area? Any advice on getting back to Portland? Hitching well received?

Thanks!

RobinB

Re: 4 - 5 days in Hatfield starting 5/1 -- Join or offer adv

Post by RobinB » April 25th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Dustybottoms wrote:I'm thinking about a hike through Hatfield, along the lines of what parkyung did here: http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... t=hatfield
I commented pretty extensively on his route suggestions there, which might be of use to you too. In general, the only probable trouble spots will be the trails between Nesmith Point and Dublin Lake - Moffett Creek (430), Tanner Creek (431), and (especially) Tanner Cutoff (448). If you have a GPS, you might want to look for a recent track (like this one from our own Eric Peterson).
Dustybottoms wrote:Looks like snow will be okay then?
You might run into some by Mount Defiance, but the trails will surely still be navigable. We were just up on Tanner Butte last weekend (trip report), and there was basically no snow.
Dustybottoms wrote:Also, who makes best map of the area?
I like Green Trails, though their maps have a few problems. Most importantly, the Bell Creek Trail is missing from their maps (or at least the one I have). National Geographics is generally pretty good and also makes one (here), though I've never seen it.
Dustybottoms wrote:Any advice on getting back to Portland? Hitching well received?
You'd be much more likely to get a hitch from the western terminus (either Multnomah Falls or Angel's Rest) than the eastern.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 26th, 2015, 6:42 am

RobinB wrote:
I like Green Trails, though their maps have a few problems. Most importantly, the Bell Creek Trail is missing from their maps (or at least the one I have). National Geographics is generally pretty good and also makes one (here), though I've never seen it.
I like the Green Trails maps in the gorge, too. Trail locations seem far more accurate than USFS/USGS. Keep a copy on my phone for instant access anytime. (New(er) editions do include Bells Creek.)
capture.jpg
Map 428S, (c)2011
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

RobinB

Post by RobinB » April 26th, 2015, 9:05 am

kepPNW wrote:
RobinB wrote:
I like the Green Trails maps in the gorge, too. Trail locations seem far more accurate than USFS/USGS. Keep a copy on my phone for instant access anytime. (New(er) editions do include Bells Creek.)
Oh interesting! I've been using the flat sheet 12x18 maps (428, 429, etc - no "s"), which appear to have last been updated in 1998. The one you have was apparently issued in 2011? I guess it's time for me to update. Thanks Karl!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 26th, 2015, 9:18 am

RobinB wrote:Oh interesting! I've been using the flat sheet 12x18 maps (428, 429, etc - no "s"), which appear to have last been updated in 1998. The one you have was apparently issued in 2011? I guess it's time for me to update. Thanks Karl!
You bet. Direct link.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...