Help Me Climb Hood?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
KevinK

Help Me Climb Hood?

Post by KevinK » March 25th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Hi there!

I discovered this board the other day while browsing all the hiking and outdoors your great state has to offer. To try and make a long story short; my girlfriend and I are planning to take two weeks to backpack and explore different parts of Oregon in early July. We are both very active, live in Denver, and backpack/hike 14ers constantly in the summer months here.

I would consider myself an experienced hiker, but more of a novice in mountaineering experience. So here is what I ask of any of you all (because the cost of Hood guided treks are out of my budget)...

Would anyone that has experience climbing Mt. Hood, specifically the Timberline approach (which looks to be the "easiest") have any interest in taking a 25 year old, active, explorer in myself on a summit approach? I own a helmet, hiking boots, backpack, gloves, goggles, etc and would plan to rent crampons, an ice axe, and anything else necessary for the climb at the Portland REI.

If so, I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much and I look forward to visiting your state this summer!

retired jerry

Re: Help Me Climb Hood?

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2015, 4:21 pm

If you went to 9000 or 9500 feet you'de get most of the joy of climbing to the summit. You could probably do that without anything besides boots

KevinK

Post by KevinK » March 25th, 2015, 4:58 pm

But I want all of the joy

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 25th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Can't argue with that.