REVISED! Anyone for a Tillamook Railroad Hike Sunday 03-22?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
Peder

Re: REVISED! Anyone for a Tillamook Railroad Hike Sunday 03-

Post by Peder » March 21st, 2015, 3:26 pm

There are still openings if anybody wishes to join the hike. :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Shoofly

Post by Shoofly » April 15th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Did you make the hike on 3/22? How did it go?

A friend and I are interested in doing the 16 mile hike on Friday, April 24. We're also keen to find some hikers interested in arranging a key swap or car shuttle. If anyone is available to join us that day, please shoot me a message. Thanks!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » April 16th, 2015, 5:11 pm

Shoofly wrote:Did you make the hike on 3/22? How did it go?

A friend and I are interested in doing the 16 mile hike on Friday, April 24. We're also keen to find some hikers interested in arranging a key swap or car shuttle. If anyone is available to join us that day, please shoot me a message. Thanks!
We did do the hike on 3/22. Peder, TomRoy and I met at the Timber Road junction. Peder and I swapped cars and traded keys in the middle. That's the way to do it, as driving back and forth between the trailheads would be a PITA.

Both Peder and got the same mileage, just over 18 miles, which I think is accurate. Be prepared to cross a few major washouts. If it has been raining hard, expect some wet crossings. Be sure to bring a light source.

You've probably seen the picture before, but here are mine, starting from the Salmonberry River TH:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54959080@ ... 536728382/
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » April 16th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Born2BBrad wrote: That's the way to do it, as driving back and forth between the trailheads would be a PITA.
It isn't too bad. I did it a couple of years ago with a friend - it takes about an hour to drive trailhead to trailhead. We started early (left the house at 5:30am), but didn't get home until like 10:00pm. It was a LONG day. I think we actually started hiking at 9 or 9:30 and hiked until like 7:00pm. FABULOUS trip, but it is tough in spots. I think it is MUCH easier to do earlier in the season, before all the brush leafs out.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Shoofly

Post by Shoofly » April 17th, 2015, 9:05 am

Thanks for sharing the photos and the details from your hike. Looks really incredible! Here's hoping we find someone to help arrange the key swap :)