Mt. Adams 1 or 2-day on Sep 3 and/or 4

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
jayess72

Mt. Adams 1 or 2-day on Sep 3 and/or 4

Post by jayess72 » August 13th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Aspiring mountaineer from the Appalachians seeks climbing partner(s) for a trip up Mt. Adams.

Hi, all. My name is Jeff and I'm addicted to climbing snow-covered mountains. I can admit I have a problem, but I'm not ready for rehab. Actually quite the opposite.

Ive done some climbing at high(er) elevations before [> 10,000'] in CO and NM including a winter attempt on Elbert. Didn't summit but thought it was a good effort for a nube. I was in Portland in early July and summited Hood. The ultimate goal being Rainier next year.

So that brings me to you guys. I live in Asheville, NC. Next time I'm in town, I'd like to take a crack at Adams. From my research, I understand the South Climb to be doable in early September. I'm not sure if I want to try it in a day or camp overnight so I am open to discussion. I am sure that I'd prefer NOT to go by myself. So... is anyone down to make the trek Sept. 3 or 4?

I feel confident in my ability to make it in a 2 day trip, but there is greater pressure in a 1 day. So if we did it that way, I'd like to find someone with some experience on that mountain to ease the pressure of logistics and route-finding... maybe someone with a wheelbarrow to push my ass to the top when I bonk! Ha.

About me: I'm a NR-EMT, WEMT, and certified TR-Ropes technician; also a member of my local SAR squad, and SARTech III qualified. Plus, I'm an avid rock climber and skier among other recreational pursuits. So you don't havta worry about me pulling my own weight. I have the qualifications, just not a ton of experience. Also, I have all the gear and perhaps even extras of some things to share so let me know if you're short in that department.

So there it is in a nutshell. I hope someone out there reading this is interested in joining me. If so, please contact me sooner than later as I have a lot of other considerations to make on this next trip. Thanks for reading and enjoy the climbing!
Not all that glitters is gold. Not all who wander are lost.

sprengers4jc

Re: Mt. Adams 1 or 2-day on Sep 3 and/or 4

Post by sprengers4jc » August 13th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Good luck! Sounds fun. I hope some folks here will join you. This sort of adventure is just more fun with other people :).
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 13th, 2014, 4:09 pm

jayess72 wrote:From my research, I understand the South Climb to be doable in early September.
I would guess most or possibly all of the snow will be gone from the climbing route by then. (I've only ever done it in July.) It'll basically be a 12 mi / 6700 ft scree slog. You can camp in the parking lot at the TH and do an out and back in a single day (though without the luxury of the 2000 ft glissade down from the false summit :( ), unless you're worried about the altitude and acclimatization, in which case you can bivy at 9000 ft at the Lunch Counter and then do a summit push the next morning, but it'll be punishing to carry all the overnight gear up there when it will really just be a trail hike at that point in the year. I've always done it as a dayhike, sleeping at the TH first and starting early, and the altitude has never been a problem for me.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » August 16th, 2014, 8:38 am

Agree with Bosterson (of course I agree with bosterson!) on conditions.

From your description of yourself, you'll think of this as just a tough hike, nothing more. It is so worth the effort.

GF and I did it last year labor day weekend as an out and back. Left at 2am, back late afternoon. I'll continue this as an out and back , and I do plan on yearly climbs. This year I'll wait till theres been a snow or two.

We did a video of the climb, if you're interested in seeing some of the milestones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGzW63fW5kg&hd=1

00:12 second into video we are a few hundred yards from the south spur trail head where you start. The only (semi) challenging route section was from Morrison creek to Crescent glacier thats from :31 - :36. At 1:00 we are at lunch counter at about 9,000

Have a great time.

jayess72

Post by jayess72 » August 17th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Thank you all! I appreciate the advice and foreknowledge. I guess the jury is stilll out, though, on which way I'll climb it. Will wait and see if there are any takers as the time approaches.
Not all that glitters is gold. Not all who wander are lost.