Hiking Partner(s) for Mt Defiance Friday 5/2/14?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
mjirving

Hiking Partner(s) for Mt Defiance Friday 5/2/14?

Post by mjirving » April 27th, 2014, 9:56 am

Anyone interested in hiking the loop up to the summit of Mt Defiance next Friday? Ideally I plan to do a dawn-start, but could go a tad later if needed. (Dawn starts are adventurous! :-)

I'll likely hike an average of 2 mph including stops in regard to speed compatibility.

Let me know! Thanks.

Mike/GoalTech

FtBraggSoldier

Re: Hiking Partner(s) for Mt Defiance Friday 5/2/14?

Post by FtBraggSoldier » April 28th, 2014, 8:38 am

Game for early start on Friday! I have that day free during my trip to Portland this week.

Let's coordinate detials.

RH

Helen

Post by Helen » May 5th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Hey, how was the trail? Was there any snow up there? I'm thinking of hiking it this week.

Thanks!

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 5th, 2014, 3:57 pm

This "video trip report" ought to tide you over until my trip report. Snow started in earnest at 4,300' and I was real glad I had a GPS track as there were no definitive tracks before us and I hadn't been there before. Snow was easy to walk through with our nice weather. It just compressed a few inches...no post holing.

https://vimeo.com/93933751

Mike

Helen

Post by Helen » May 5th, 2014, 6:51 pm

mjirving wrote:This "video trip report" ought to tide you over until my trip report. Snow started in earnest at 4,300' and I was real glad I had a GPS track as there were no definitive tracks before us and I hadn't been there before. Snow was easy to walk through with our nice weather. It just compressed a few inches...no post holing.

https://vimeo.com/93933751

Mike
OMG, that video was fantastic!!!! What software did you use? I need to learn how to do that. Great taste in music too! I loved everything about it.

Also, thanks for the snow report, I guess I need to wait another week.

Gotta go, I need to go watch the video again.

PS - do you make videos professionally?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » May 5th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Ah Helen...a reader after my own heart. :)

Thanks so much for the kind comments. I put a lot of effort into those and enjoy the process of making them even if I was the only person to watch it. That being said, I always hope that others enjoy them and gain some sort of inspiration from them.

I use Apple's Final Cut Pro which is their high-end software that's expensive, but I started with iMovie which I think is free now or very low cost and is pretty awesome. I've also made similar videos just on my iPhone using my iMovie app, it's incredible what you can do. I take all the pictures on my iPhone 5S and the video split between my iPhone and my GoPro.

If you're interested in more of my videos check out my blog at goaltechhikes.blogspot.com

And...I'm not a professional, but it's always been a passion of mine from the days of slide projectors and music mix tapes on cassette. Technology has finally caught up to what I've always dreamed of being able to do. I just added a GoPro to the mix and made a dolly out of legos to be used with fishing line so I can do big panning shots on the trail. I'm excited to experiment with that too! I hit the Pacific Crest Trail in So Cal in 2 weeks for an 8-day, 135 mile hike, so stay tuned for more! :-)

Thanks for being a fan...you made my day. :-)

Mike/GoalTech