Devil's Staircase 2014?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
Pnw.hiker

Re: Devil's Staircase 2014?

Post by Pnw.hiker » March 25th, 2014, 9:03 pm

here's an alternate route, approaching from the South instead of the North. http://www.ancilnance.com/writing/devil ... semaps.php

The access roads are labeled with BLM numbers, so bring a BLM map if you have it.

By the way, last time I was in the area I saw this concrete lined catchment, out in the middle of nowhere. Anyone know that it is? https://goo.gl/maps/62Sfa

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 26th, 2014, 6:22 am

I think my directions are consistent with your route - coming from the South

Funny how the falls is just 1 mile from the road, yet it's so difficult to get to

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » March 26th, 2014, 7:15 am

retired jerry wrote:I think my directions are consistent with your route - coming from the South
Oh, sorry.

This thread has directions from Sullivan's Atlas of Oregon Wilderness, coming in from the North.
retired jerry wrote:Funny how the falls is just 1 mile from the road, yet it's so difficult to get to

It's a 3+ hour drive from Portland, so pent up frustration for people in this forum not being able to explore as much as they'd like. I went through there once but the road was blocked and I couldn't get through an alternate route of my own devising. Still waiting for a chance to go back.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 26th, 2014, 8:13 am

Someone had mentioned just following Wassen Creek to the falls. Anyone know what kind of elevation difference that would be from start (at creek level) to the falls? And is that even a realistic way to access the falls or do you get cliffed or canyoned out at some point?

greglief

Post by greglief » March 26th, 2014, 8:31 am

The directions that Jerry referenced seem logical for approaching from the South. I used the Northern approach for both of my visits, so I cannot speak as to the actual terrain from car to creek. However, the approximate location as noted on this page (referenced earlier by Pnw.hiker) does not look right to me. If I learned anything from my two visits, it is that a slight deviation from the correct route (I hate to use the word "trail" or "path") can cause problems. Death might be an exaggeration, but grief is an understatement.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 26th, 2014, 8:37 am

I can't find any detailed directions from North

I vaguely remember reading them once

Many links from several years ago are no longer available

Koda

Post by Koda » March 26th, 2014, 9:16 am

pdxgene wrote:Someone had mentioned just following Wassen Creek to the falls. Anyone know what kind of elevation difference that would be from start (at creek level) to the falls? And is that even a realistic way to access the falls or do you get cliffed or canyoned out at some point?
my experience creek wading is to avoid it at all costs. Not just for water navigation difficulties but for aquatic habitat is easily destroyed, literally thousands of native salmonidae smolt killed in one footstep onto a nest (called Redds) let alone the footsteps of a large group. The difficulty in navigating directly in the watercourse for any length of time in unknown terrain is also easily a terrain trap in places, fish habitat issue aside the few times I’ve done it I’ve been stuck in precarious places and one time was the closest I came to calling SAR (I didn’t get home until 4am…)… one can only assume that the Staircase is not the only waterfall on this river and river exploring is nothing short of full on canyoneering.

The best bet is to follow a land course and hope to nail the waterfall first attempt, a slight upstream offset might be better than a downstream one IMO. Bring 100’ of 6mm rope and know how to rappel, at the very least a hasty rappel or body rappel (Dulfersitz). Don’t bring anything goretex or expensive when bushwhacking in the coast range, especially expensive footwear the ground running berry vines will do more than trip you up.

My research tells me the “official” Oregonwild route is via the north, but my experience indicates I would do it from the south in fact exactly as described in the track referenced earlier.

As the good Colonel says… “I love it when a plan comes together”
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » March 26th, 2014, 9:58 am

retired jerry wrote:I can't find any detailed directions from North

I vaguely remember reading them once

Many links from several years ago are no longer available
sigh ... in the thread I linked to above. Particularly this post, and this post.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 26th, 2014, 10:05 am

I saw the detailed directions from the south which I copy/pasted above, but I saw no detailed directions from north.

Maybe I let my impatience get the best of me and I didn't follow links far enough. I think it would be mathematically possible, if I followed links to the farthest possible extent, I would eventually see all of the web or get in infinite loops :D

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » March 26th, 2014, 12:41 pm

retired jerry wrote:I saw the detailed directions from the south which I copy/pasted above, but I saw no detailed directions from north.
Are you sure it's an approach from the south? It's 13 miles in from the highway.

The other approach from the south mentioned is only about 6 or 7.

Anyone have a map with the BLM roads labeled? I haven't been able to find on-line.

<edit> P.S. When I say approach from the South, I'm talking about the hiking, not the drive to the trailhead.