Devil's Staircase 2014?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
-Q-

Re: Devil's Staircase 2014?

Post by -Q- » March 7th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I am definitely interested in the group trip.

PHers invade the Staircase, sounds great :twisted:

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 7th, 2014, 9:54 pm

I'm much better at coming up with the ideas than actually organizing and executing the details. So if someone would like to take this ball and run with it that has a bit more talent at that sort of thing... :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 8th, 2014, 11:50 pm

I'm no good at organizing either but a trip to the falls with all you legends sounds awesome!! Count me in :D

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 11th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Maybe we should rent a bus? :lol: Because I would like to go as well. A Fri-Sun works great for me. I have a 4x4 SUV and I can drive.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Helen

Post by Helen » March 22nd, 2014, 7:19 pm

viking wrote:I am planning on going to the Devil's Staircase sometime this spring. My plan is to go down Fri. eve and car camp at the jump off point. Saturday visit the fall and then head further south and see the Upper Rock Creek falls that Forester wrote about in January. Home Sunday eve.

I can't find a map that shows the exact position of the falls but I am sure I have it within a 1/2 mile. The terrain is not that steep and the road is actually quite close to the creek, so I am thinking that it's reported difficulty in way overstated.

If you guys like my plan let me know, otherwise tell me when you are going and I'll see if I can adjust my schedule.
I like this plan. Any idea how many miles/elevation gain? I have a Subaru Outback that needs some miles put on it.

Xilonen

Post by Xilonen » March 25th, 2014, 2:17 pm

That area looks gorgeous. I'd be interested in going, though I've got no car of my own, so I'd have to buy some transport for myself (and possibly one other human and two dogs?) from someone.

Helen

Post by Helen » March 25th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Maybe it would help us get organized if we listed out what was needed for this to be successful:

- carpool arrangements: drivers and number of available seats vs passengers
- hiking route including approximate number of miles and elevation gain
- date/time of departure from PDX
- date/time of departure from Devil's Staircase
- equipment: GPS, PLB

???

Koda

Post by Koda » March 25th, 2014, 7:25 pm

:|

A few facts I will admit assuming about this idea...
>nobody in this thread knows exactly where the Devils Staircase really is.
>nobody in this thread knows the exact route
>the route is all off trail in some of the most thickest, thorniest, nastiest and steep terrain the coast range has to offer. (not assuming this one)
>nobody in this thread knows the best entrance point to attempt the bushwhack to the falls.
>there is no large area at the falls for a group to camp at

...and of course all that is why this place is most intriguing :)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Guy

Post by Guy » March 25th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Koda wrote::|

A few facts I will admit assuming about this idea...
>nobody in this thread knows exactly where the Devils Staircase really is.
>nobody in this thread knows the exact route
>the route is all off trail in some of the most thickest, thorniest, nastiest and steep terrain the coast range has to offer. (not assuming this one)
>nobody in this thread knows the best entrance point to attempt the bushwhack to the falls.
>there is no large area at the falls for a group to camp at

...and of course all that is why this place is most intriguing :)
So, looks like it's a go then ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2014, 8:22 pm

a few clues on thread http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =10&t=3622

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4816

from some article linked to:

"Directions from Eugene

Take I-5 south.

11.5 miles south of Cottage Grove, take Exit 162 (Elkton/Drain). Head west (right) on Hwy. 38.

In 37.8 miles, turn right on Wells Creek Road.

In 2 miles, bear left at a junction onto 21-9-10 (Wassen Lake Road).

Travel 21-9-10 for 7.9 miles. Watch out for ice, fog, frost, boulders and sheer dropoffs. Don’t turn off 21-9-10.

Turn left on 21-10-12.1. Watch out for muddy ruts and steep slopes where you can easily become stuck. Watch also for fallen trees and branches. Don’t turn off 21-10-12.1.

Travel 21-10-12.1 for 5.3 miles. Park near the spur road to the left. Walk this spur road for .2 miles to a landing and disembark downhill following a boot trail and flagging.

Disclaimer:

This route can only be traveled by a high clearance car like a Subaru or a pickup. In wet weather, only a four-wheel drive truck will be able to negotiate the route. Your vehicle will be scratched by vegetation. In all conditions, only drivers with experience on BLM logging roads will successfully negotiate the route. These directions supplement and do not substitute for a map. You need a good map of the area.

Hiking in the Wassen Creek drainage is extremely difficult if not dangerous. Even experienced hikers can easily become disoriented. Only the most experienced hikers with outstanding orienteering skills, armed with good maps, GPS devices, emergency supplies and traveling in a group can be expected to avoid serious injury or death. We are not kidding."

Some of those warnings seem a bit exhagerated.