Downtown Fireworks Hike

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
anna in boots

Downtown Fireworks Hike

Post by anna in boots » June 26th, 2008, 2:13 pm

Hey, all!

I'm knocking around an idea to stroll the sidewalks looping around the Willamette River from Waterfront Park to Steel Bridge to Eastbank Riverfront Park to Hawthorne Bridge and back during the fireworks. I'm guessing it's around five miles round trip--anybody know for sure? I should know, I've done it enough times....

Anyway, I'm not clear on viability, considering the Blues Festival and all their cordoned-off areas. Anyone know if that loop is going to be open? Do they close the far banks and patrol the sidewalks to keep people from assembling for the light show? It would be kinda fun to walk slowly as we watch as an alternative to stiff backsides and sore necks from sitting in the grass and craning our gaze upwards. Also, this way, you don't need to schlep a blanket or chair downtown.

The pyrotechnics are set to begin at 10:05 PM on Friday, the 4th of July, from two barges, one on either side of Hawthorne Bridge, which may render that portion of the loop sacrosanct. (http://www.waterfrontbluesfest.com/news ... works.html) My goal is to assemble about 9:00 PM and start walking in whatever direction is available with a view.

All suggestions, especially nutty ideas, welcome. (e.g. Know anyone with roof access?)

anna in boots

PS: If forced, I might succumb to attending the Blues Festival and scrunching myself down on the grass with a blanket next to all the other explosives admirers.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

pdxgene

Re: Downtown Fireworks Hike

Post by pdxgene » June 26th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Or avoid the crowds and traffic, save some money and watch them looking down from Terwilliger Blvd.. I don't know the exact sight line but you could probably get some pretty good views from along there.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 26th, 2008, 7:22 pm

I can tell you one thing - - be very, very careful where you park. Be certain to look for Retriever Towing signs. I got towed a few years ago, in an area where I though I looked carefully for signs. I was told by people who watched the towing that a whole fleet of trucks came in and took several of us and let me tell you it was expensive then and would be more now I'm sure.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » June 26th, 2008, 9:09 pm

Meters downtown are all free on holidays. Just park a little farther away and ride Max or a bus. I've been parking by the Rose Garden and PGE Park for years when I go to work and rarely has anyone ever had a problem with their car.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » June 27th, 2008, 3:39 am

Thanks, Waffle Stomper. The two most congested traffic situations I have ever seen in my life are 1. Leaving a fireworks show 2. Leaving the opera/stage show. So, I always devise a quick-release plan for my exit; I actually never park downtown unless I can get validated somewhere. I'm a lightrail girl!

anna in boots

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 27th, 2008, 6:50 am

The Eastbank Esplanade in the Hawthorne Bridge area will be jam packed. I've heard the Esplanade is less a walking path than a seating area on that night.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 27th, 2008, 6:56 am

It was a seating area when I was there too. But the people watching was great. The folks who had the best views are the ones that jumped into their kayaks (with the required lighting of course) and watched from the water while floating near the shore.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

anna in boots

Good to know

Post by anna in boots » June 27th, 2008, 8:53 am

Thanks for all the great info!

Hmmm...I may have to alter my route to a "downtown walk" and then watching fireworks.

anna in boots