Anyone climbing Mt. Hood and/or Mt. Adams?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
potato

Anyone climbing Mt. Hood and/or Mt. Adams?

Post by potato » June 19th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Hello,

I'm still hoping to climb Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams this year, though I suppose it is past the ideal climbing season. My goal was to do Helens, Adams, and Hood this year. Had an Adams trip planned which fell through, and tried a Hood summit which was aborted early due to weather. Made it up Helens which was sweet.

So, is anyone planning to do Hood or Adams and willing to let me tag along? Helens is the only mountain climbing I've done, so I'd like to go with someone who has done it a few times and can show me the ropes.

Thanks!
-Joe
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

payslee

Re: Anyone climbing Mt. Hood and/or Mt. Adams?

Post by payslee » June 19th, 2012, 4:11 pm

You've got plenty of time for Adams, that's a nice really summer climb.
Unlike Hood, no rocks will be falling down on your head.

The NW Wilderness meetup has an Adams climb scheduled. It currently has a waitlist but I've never yet led a meetup event that was truly full when the day finally came. If you put yourself on the wait list you get emails as spots open up.

I am targeting an August climb myself but with two didn't-reach-the-summit attempts behind me I'm not in a position to show anybody the ropes.

have fun,
payslee

potato

Post by potato » June 19th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Thanks payslee, I joined the group and signed up for the waiting list.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

anne37

Post by anne37 » June 20th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I got on that waiting list right after you, thanks to both of you for the information on the meetup group.

Adrian1208

Post by Adrian1208 » June 21st, 2012, 10:11 pm

Hi everyone.
My friend Mark and i are planning to summit Adams on the weekend of July 6/7. We will take 2 day camping around the Lunch Counter. I am attempting Hood for the second time this weekend with a group of SACsters (Santiam Alpine Club) so my experience is limited to none, but i think Adams's south route is doable with the right equipment(crampons/iceaxe)Not sure about showing anyone the ropes. But welcome to tag along. I am usually on the safe side of things so if weather is bad i have no issues turning around. Not a summit fever kind of guy. I'm really hoping to reach summit of Hood this weekend but i am realistic and the forecast does not look good.
Adrian

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » June 26th, 2012, 8:50 am

I am very interested in doing Adams but as a day climb. My plan is to collect as much information about the easier route (South, I believe) and then do a recon climb to see how far I can get. This was my strategy when I did Hood... got caught in a whiteout on my first attempt which was very educational. Made the summit on my second try.

There's a little motel in Glenwood that I "think" isn't too far from the TH.

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone with advice and especially anyone who'd be interested in going along (or having me tag along with them). I am old, slow and cautious but very determined and VERY dependable.

I am assuming (but perhaps incorrectly) that Adams can be done solo, without ropes and pro.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

jessbee

Post by jessbee » June 26th, 2012, 10:46 am

Easyrider wrote:I am very interested in doing Adams but as a day climb.

I am assuming (but perhaps incorrectly) that Adams can be done solo, without ropes and pro.
Adams can easily be done solo and in a day. That way you don't have to drag overnight gear up there. No crevasses or rockfall to worry about, and it never gets extraordinarily steep. There is generally a train of people going up the south side so the route is pretty obvious. It can be confusing getting back down into the trees, where footsteps go everywhere. Pick a good weather day and go for it. Be prepared for cold, windy conditions at the top even if the trailhead is roasting hot.

I won't do it again--too long, boring, and sloggy--but I will say the glissade down was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had in the mountains :D

Enjoy.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » June 26th, 2012, 11:04 am

Much obliged. I look forward to the day when summiting a glacial mountain peak becomes "boring". :)

Are there any good links that clearly and in a detailed way describe the route and especially getting to the TH?

One of my major complaints about many trail guides is that they are sometimes vague and even incorrect on how to *GET* there. I seek to remedy this on my web site. I go way out of my way to make sure people can actually find the starting point and stay on trail once they head out.

A great hike isn't so great (IMHO) if you can't find the trailhead.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

anne37

Post by anne37 » June 26th, 2012, 12:02 pm

I wouldn't call it "easy", but a solo climb is possible if you start really early, are fit, and have the willpower of an ox. It gets tedious, though. As tempting as it is to go fast and light, I think this time around I want to enjoy myself instead of returning to the car bleary-eyed and haggard (and then having to drive all the way home)! :)
Last edited by anne37 on June 26th, 2012, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anne37

Post by anne37 » June 26th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Easyrider wrote: I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone with advice and especially anyone who'd be interested in going along (or having me tag along with them). I am old, slow and cautious but very determined and VERY dependable.
I could be interested in a *slow/cautious* day hike of Adams later this summer if you're still looking for buddies. But if you've done Hood, you might be too bad*ss for me. :lol: Otherwise, I'm gonna overnight it.