new to you

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking

new to you

Post by 14270 » September 11th, 2008, 11:09 pm

Have been lurked around the site for a bit now, thought it proper to introduce myself rather than continue to scour the field guide for ideas.

Generally, I'm a solitude seeker, but impending fatherhood has altered my recent pusuits to say the least. It would be great to meet any other parents out there who are experienced in the world of hiking with infants.

I've had a pretty solid taste of what the NW has to offer in my five years here, from the Gorge to the N Cascades and a lot in between.

I grew up hiking/hunting/fishing in the Beartooths in Montana, and have lived in North Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado, and Arizona before settling in Portland.

Thank you for this wonderful resource and community. I'll try to contribute something worthwhile in the near future.

Idler

Re: new to you

Post by Idler » September 13th, 2008, 12:56 pm

My experience is that children cut into one's hiking considerably!

I didn't do a great deal of hiking with my younger son because he decided fairly early on that he didn't like to go in the baby backpack. In any case, one doesn't want to expose infants to danger, so one may to avoid many trails, especially as the baby backpacks raise one's center of gravity and compromise agility and balance.

Time is also an issue. Babies have various needs that must be satisfied periodically. Nursing helps, but naps and other kinds of feeding can pose problems. One good thing is that walking is a great sleep inducer. I have enjoyed being able to get out and walk with a baby on my back. I get excercise, the wife gets a break.

Happily, my younger boy (now 17 months) seems to like the backpack more and is generally more rough-and-ready in spirit. Unfortunately, he tends to hang his head out sideways when he falls asleep, which makes me worry. And of course, you can't see the little guy.

I'm looking forward to doing many a hike with my boys as they get bigger.

Good luck!

Martell

Post by Martell » September 14th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Idler, you can bring along a mirror to check them out in the backpacks. We just got one as a gift and it came with an attached mirror. I'm looking forward to trying it out, next spring
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

jimsiff

Post by jimsiff » September 14th, 2008, 11:02 pm

I have a mirror on the REI Piggyback we've used for the past three+ years. It can be useful and fun. You can play some fun peek-a-boo games and lighten the mood a bit if the little one gets fussy. Your center of gravity does change a bit with those carriers. Safety is paramount when hiking with little ones, but there aren't many officially maintained trails in the area I'd consider off-limits for a baby backpack unless the weather is pretty bad or trail conditions dangerous.

Obviously user-maintained classics like Ruckel Ridge, Rock of Ages Ridge, Wauna Point, and Munra Point are off the table... as would be the volcano walk ups like South Sister or St. Helens, or fording Eliot or Coe Branch on a warm July afternoon. :lol: About the only truly maintained trail in NW Oregon that I'd give serious pause to would be Elk Mountain in the Coast Range. It's been done with baby backpacks, but it's not a stroll in the park. Also, Eagle-Benson Trail in the Gorge has a narrow cliffy spot I wouldn't want to take baby on... but other than those two, most everything else I can think of is fine in the right conditions.
-Jim

cfm

Post by cfm » September 15th, 2008, 1:53 pm

I say don't slow down! I hiked with my baby from 9 days until 3 years old and he was too heavy to carry. The hardest year for hiking was when he was between 3 and 4. Now he is a sturdy 5 year old, and although the hiking mileage is quite low, we still get out alot and have fun in the great outdoors.

My husband and I are both trail runners, so sometimes on family hikes, we take turns keeping back with Evan while the other goes on an out and back run for an hour to get some real exercise.

Post by 14270 » September 16th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I especially like the "don't slow down" idea. That's kind of been our plan. Just keep going and hope she enjoys it as much as we do.

I never thought of a mirror on the kid pack. I'll have to rig something up for our second hand Kelty we inherited. (used once and hated by it's last inhabitant).

Well, she will be here in less than two months. I'll have to keep you posted on how it works out.