New to the West Coast

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
tjolson81

New to the West Coast

Post by tjolson81 » June 18th, 2008, 8:27 pm

I'm so glad I found this site, it's amazing.

I'm new to the area, a transplant from North Carolina. I'm hoping to find some clubs to get out and enjoy the area with, and maybe meet some other young professionals as well.

If anyone has suggestions for groups, trails, meetings, anything please let me know.

Thanks! -Todd

jeffstatt

Re: New to the West Coast

Post by jeffstatt » June 18th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Hey Todd,
So glad you found us! You happened upon us during a pretty big transition for the website - so bear with us if things are bit glitchy with our new software. So, what part of North Carolina? Portland is much like the Research Triangle in that you're equidistant from the mountains and the ocean, so hopefully you'll feel right at home!

There is a list of hiking club links on teh home page (bottom left hand side) and just above that there's a section called "Go Hike" check that link for upcoming outings from all kinds of groups.
(come to think of it, I haven't updated those in two weeks trying to cut over the site - but at least you'll get a flavor for what's out there)

The Field Guide (link is on the red tool bar above) should give you some ideas for some short "get-a-feel-for-area-hikes"....of course you can always ask for specific suggestions.

There is a "meet and greet" this Friday - I don't have the link to the post handy (I'm running out the door in a minute), but a bunch of folks from this site are meeting for a tromp through Forest Park near downtown - some great old growth forest out there. Perhaps someone can reply with the link.

Once again...WELCOME!! :D

anna in boots

Meet-n-Greet tonight!

Post by anna in boots » June 20th, 2008, 7:16 am

Welcome!

Come to Forest Park this evening and stretch your legs while you meet some fabulous people from Portlandhikers.org. You might just find a hiking buddy for the weekend.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ?f=12&t=26

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/