Where to Stay

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Lamoka

Where to Stay

Post by Lamoka » July 21st, 2008, 12:39 pm

As I said in my first topic, I'll be visiting Portland the wk of 9/15 with plans to see the natural sights while my poor wife attends her conference. The first few days we'll be in some fancy high priced digs on the corporate dime but for several days after we'll be on our own. Can anyone suggest a decent place to stay where the only real requirements are clean, safe, and reasonably priced.
Its only purpose is a place to sleep as we'll be out and about during the awake hours.
Also any must go to eateries local folks care to brag about.
Sort of like Buffalo wings (Anchor Bar) is to Buffalo as "fill in the blank" is to Portland

OneSpeed

Re: Where to Stay

Post by OneSpeed » July 21st, 2008, 12:43 pm

Well, I'll chime in on my favorite topic: breakfast. It's Portland's specialty. I'd recommend Zell's, the Bijou Cafe, Besaw's, Beaterville, and the Stepping Stone Cafe -- the last two being a little more funky Portland style. If you're in town on a Sunday, get in line over at Simpatica and prepare to be impressed.

And you can keep up with other recommendations on my breakfast blog and, about the time you get to town, a breakfast book I've written (shameless plug!).

Paul
Breakfast in Bridgetown

trinitrotoluene

Post by trinitrotoluene » August 14th, 2008, 8:36 am

Simpatica (if you don't mind waiting an hour for a seat)
Isabel for awesome pancakes
Navarre for eggs benedict

Portland doesn't have a real "thing" item like buffalo wings or philly cheese steaks. Around here it's more about how fresh the food is, where it came from and the boldness of the final plate. You'll find what is probably the best northwest fusion food at places lik Le Pigeon, Beast or Park Kitchen (~20-30 entrees). Park Kitchen has an awesome four course chef's choice for $45 per person.

During the day you have to go to the food carts on SW 5th and Stark. That's where a lot of downtown workers get lunch for $5-6. Tabor for a schnitzelwhich, pierogi at Taste of Portland or curry at Thai Sky are my favorites... but there are like 15 carts with a wide variety of food (http://foodcartsportland.com/). During the weekday go up the US Bankcorp tower to Portland City Grill after 9:30pm for late night happy hour. Happy hour (4-6, 10-close) at any McCormick and Schmick's is good, the waterfront one has a nice view of the river and marina.

Funny enough I plan on going to Buffalo for a Bills game later this year.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » August 14th, 2008, 9:47 am

trinitrotoluene wrote:Funny enough I plan on going to Buffalo for a Bills game later this year.
No way. You a Bills fan? (It's ok, you can admit it). I've been to many myself

Do you realize Bills fans get together in downtown Portland at Jax
http://www.pdxbb.com/

(I'm in the picture on their homepage)

cfm

Post by cfm » August 14th, 2008, 9:51 am

Hi Lamoka,

If you want a place to stay in the gorge and enjoy kitsch and good coffee, I recommend the Sandhill Cottages in Carson WA. Quick access to Dog mountain, and the Table Mountain/Beacon Rock area.

the cfm
( former wingmaker in Buffalo NY, NOT a Bills fan)

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » August 14th, 2008, 9:57 am

Having lived and travelled all over the US, I can say the Northwest's infatuation with coffee and microbrew are second to none. In Western NY, beer meant a couple of Coors Lites during a Football game (well who am I kidding: Genesee Cream Ale) and coffee was that black tar you schlepped into a stirophoam cup at work.

So my suggestion from "I still remember it being new to me" perspective is you go to the Edgefield McMennemins, have a Terminator Stout and a few appetizers (avoid the chicken wings) then have Terminator milkshake for dessert. Yes - that's beer in a milkshake. It is OUTSTANDING, trust me. (I swear that must have been what Uma Thurman had in Pulp Fiction.)

As far as coffee, I'm sure others will have other suggestions, but I don't think you can go wrong with http://stumptowncoffee.com/

As long as you're out and around town, I wouldn't suck if you rode the new tram: http://www.portlandtram.org/

(CFM - you were NOT a wing maker in Buffalo!! No kidding! I'm coming to your house for dinner this weekend. I'll be there at 5:00)

As for where to stay?
Well, it depends on how far you want to travel and how much you're willing to spend. If you not on a strict budget Timberline Lodge is in the middle of everything on Mount Hood, but it books up fast. That is a very unique location and you won't regret it. but it is an hour or so from Portland. Skamania Lodge is in a beautiful location as well - but again - a bit spendy

For something cheap and closer to town I'll defer to others