Looking to join others and get out now and then...

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
enjoyawalk

Looking to join others and get out now and then...

Post by enjoyawalk » July 19th, 2008, 12:29 am

New to this site---looks like a great place to talk with other hikers. I've had a colorfully blessed palette hiking in the Northwest...am pretty well versed. Have been hiking a number of years---though usually alone in recent years as my peers may feel a little older...but I know I'm pushing it going out into the wilderness by myself, so am looking to meet/join small groups of like-minded day-hikers that enjoy getting out. Am flexible in accompanying any variety of walks...anything from meandering in Forest Park to sweating up Mt. Defiance....and trust I bring some experience, outdoor knowledge and social comraderie to the table...am hoping to meet good company that want to get together for day-excursions, whether neophytes or seasoned soles.... I used to teach children, so I am use to and appreciate younger people, but would be nice to enjoy hiking/chatting with "baby boomer"-aged ambulators as myself as well.
Thanks, and happy trails!

Jane

Re: Looking to join others and get out now and then...

Post by Jane » July 19th, 2008, 8:40 am

Welcome enjoyawalk! Feel free to contact hikers or post any hikes you would like companionship with, we have an "Organize and Invite" forum for your invitations and inquiries also! I have hooked up with many of the groups out there, often they are small groups and a bit older (but young at heart!) and alot of fun. Here's a few options this weekend: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=13&t=334

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 19th, 2008, 8:53 am

Wow, sounds like you are chock-full of interesting stories to tell! I love that! Can't wait! I usually organize Meet-n-Greet hikes on here but unfortunately had to cancel the Multnomah Falls one this morning due to sudden illness (woke up this morning five hours late still feeling vaguely like death, so I know I made the right decision to bow out.)

The next one will be sometime in August but I'm still deciding where. All suggestions welcome. Hope to see you there!

anna in boots
Last edited by anna in boots on July 24th, 2008, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Jane

Post by Jane » July 19th, 2008, 9:32 am

Hey Anna, hope you are feeling better soon! If you decide do to the Multnomah Falls one again, I am leading a hike up there that day to Nesika - if anyone wanted to venture up a few more miles (it's about a two hour hike one way - this would be a Trailsclub hike and I'd have to have folks then participate accordingly - small fee, liablity form, do NOT have to be a member or become one!).

http://www.trailsclub.org.
August 9 (Sat) Nesika Lodge Membership Hike - class B
Enjoy a beautiful trek up from Multnomah Lodge to the historic and tranquil grounds of Nesika Lodge, offering a babbling creek, several waterfalls, lush woods and gradual elevation along the way. Trailsclub folks will be at the lodge working so it will be open for your visit. Bring water and lunch or snacks. Approx. 7-8 miles rt, 1700-1800' elev. gain, moderate pace.
Meet at Gateway Park & Ride garage by 8:30am, or at Multnomah Lodge gift shop by 9:20am.
Leader: Jane Garbisch

Nesika Lodge
100_4360.JPG
Viewpoint near Nesika:
100_4362.JPG

An evening Forest Park (or Mt. Tabor) stroll would be fun for ideas too. Godspeed healing to you, thanks for organizing the meet-n-greets!

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » July 19th, 2008, 9:55 am

Thanks, Jane. This snuggly weather is just the ticket for rebalancing: I've got all my windows open and I'm soaking up the cool breeze and bird songs. There's about a dozen Stellar's and Scrub jays debating ownership of the peanuts on my deck railing and Black-headed grosbeaks and an assortment of finches and sparrows singing back-up. So glad I didn't miss it today!

The Lodge looks tasty, I'll have to check that out sometime. I'm planning all hikes around the concert series in Washington Park, something I look forward to every year.

anna in boots
Last edited by anna in boots on July 24th, 2008, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

enjoyawalk

Post by enjoyawalk » July 19th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Thank you Jane and Anna both for your replies. Nice to know there are welcoming voices out there in the hiking community...will be looking forward to future adventures.
----Also---hope you're feeling better, Anna