Nice to Meet You and I Appreciate This Forum!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
TrailPerspective

Nice to Meet You and I Appreciate This Forum!

Post by TrailPerspective » January 11th, 2024, 7:43 am

Hi! My name is Mike, I live in Madras, Central Oregon. I was born and raised in the Portland Metro Area but moved to Central Oregon 5 years ago.

Hiking is my #1 favorite hobby! Wilderness Trail Hiking, Backpacking, Car Camping, Kayaking, Snowshoeing, Yaktrax'ing etc. I really like living in Madras as the perfect centralized location - a little over an hour away from the heart of the Mount Hood Area, and a little over an hour away from the heart of the Mount Bachelor Area, and a little over an hour away from Sisters to Santiam Pass area, not to mention going to the East to the Ochocos! I am a fan of the Western 11 US States in particular as far as the nature and beauty! I plan to buy an RV and go around the whole US and Canada eventually.

I've got a new little YouTube Channel that I started up that focuses on Wilderness Trail Hiking and Campsite Reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/@TrailPerspectiv

I look forward exploring these forums as a resource and hope to contribute to them in any way I can as well. I appreciate all the efforts of the people running the forums, its more work than one realizes, I managed some forums in a different context many years ago so I can relate, so thank you for what you do!

Happy Trails, Be Bear Aware, Practice Situational Awareness, Remember Cotton Kills & We're Almost There Just One More Switchback!

retired jerry

Re: Nice to Meet You and I Appreciate This Forum!

Post by retired jerry » January 11th, 2024, 7:51 am

Looking through your youtube channel, you have a lot of my favorite places. Welcome.

Jett Powered

Post by Jett Powered » January 12th, 2024, 8:41 am

Hi Mike! Welcome and thanks for sharing! I've gone looking for youtube content like yours but somehow never stumbled onto your channel. I look forward to checking out your adventures.

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » January 12th, 2024, 2:09 pm

Thank you very much, I appreciate the warm welcome!

Hopefully some of my videos can be entertaining and/or usable as a hiking & trip planning resource.

I really don't want to be that person that fire bombs video links in the forums, I think that can be in poor taste, so I will do so sparingly. That caveat said, moments ago I did just upload a Video Reviewing Each Campsite at Nottingham Campground on the East Side of Mount Hood National Forest, which is MY FAVORITE developed campground in the entire Mount Hood National Forest Area!!!!!!!!!!! I think it's a bit of an undiscovered gem to a degree, and I'd rank the Timothy Lake Area as second best camping zone. Hopefully this video can be useful for people trying to pick their ideal Campsite at Nottingham Campground as they book at Recreation.gov. It's one of those Campgrounds that's 6-month rolling window so I'm posting it now for people booking in July 2024. I shoot videos in 4K, 30 fps, so it is suitable to be streamed to a big screen Smart TV. Anyways, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jet_Ng7YPwE

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 12th, 2024, 4:28 pm

I've camped at both Nottingham and Timothy Lake - yeah, great places to camp. Timothy Lake is difficult to find a spot in the summer.

I don't think you can post too many videos :)

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » January 13th, 2024, 5:51 am

retired jerry wrote:
January 12th, 2024, 4:28 pm
I've camped at both Nottingham and Timothy Lake - yeah, great places to camp. Timothy Lake is difficult to find a spot in the summer.

I don't think you can post too many videos :)
Hahahahaha :lol: in that case I won't hold back. :D

TrailPerspective

Post by TrailPerspective » January 17th, 2024, 1:51 pm

Here's a hiking hack recommendation - if you want to explore the North Side of Mount Rainier National Park, aka Sunrise Rim Trailhead, particularly Burroughs Mountain Trail, I highly recommend staying at Bumping Lake Campground, particularly Campsite #45 - great privacy and Lake Shoreline access! Also, Googlemaps claims its 1 Hour 45 Minutes to Mount Rainier National Park Sunrise Rim Trailhead, but it greatly overestimates the Bumping River Road section, so its really more like 1 Hour 15-20 Minutes One-Way. A little farther distance than some of the giant National Park Campgrounds, but a much higher quality and more secluded camping experience in my humble opinion, I personally think the trade-off is very well worth it. Here's a Campsite Review I did of Campsite #45 of Bumping Lake Campground that I just posted minutes ago, I also included some Bumping Lake Shoreline Hiking and a Silent Highlights Section at the end of the Video:

https://youtu.be/QljTtUwVsLo