Hello!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
MattUden94

Hello!

Post by MattUden94 » December 7th, 2023, 1:38 pm

Hello all. I'm Matt. I'm 27 and I've been hiking/backpacking for around 15 years. I am planning a trip to Washington and Oregon in the Spring of 2024. I visited Mt Rainier in Washington last year and loved it. Oregon is up next!

Aimless

Re: Hello!

Post by Aimless » December 7th, 2023, 1:51 pm

Welcome. You'll find that this website and especially these forums are an excellent source of local information as your trip here from Michigan approaches. Where do you like to backpack when you're not visiting our neck of the woods here in the PNW?

MattUden94

Post by MattUden94 » December 8th, 2023, 6:18 am

Aimless wrote:
December 7th, 2023, 1:51 pm
Welcome. You'll find that this website and especially these forums are an excellent source of local information as your trip here from Michigan approaches. Where do you like to backpack when you're not visiting our neck of the woods here in the PNW?
Usually around home I backpack around the state parks around Lake Michigan. One of my favorite places to go is the UP when I have the time. Places up there like Tahquamenon Falls and Picture Rock. I also have a cabin in Newaygo, MI that's right on the Muskegon River where we love floating down for some fly fishing!

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » December 11th, 2023, 10:56 am

There have been a lot of bots around recently, and you have proven that you are not one of them. Congratulations!

Just something to keep in mind, a springtime visit will generally limit your hiking to lower elevations and shorter trails. You won't be hiking high in the Cascades unless you are on snowshoes, as many upper elevation trails hold snow well into July. Depending on your exact timing, trails generally above 3000' will be snowbound in Oregon, even lower than that in Washington.

This site has a great filter for non-summer hikes to aid your research and planning. You'll find plenty of dayhikes but more of the backpacking trails are higher up and snowy. For spring backpacking in WA I would recommend the beaches on the Olympic Peninsula, in OR some of the Cascade foothills hikes (like Salmon River on the west or Badger Creek on the east). The further east and south you go in Oregon, the more likely you are to get higher elevations for springtime hiking. The Gorge has dozens of springtime day hikes available, and you and everybody else will be there.
instagram: @remyodyssey