New Poster from Hawaii

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
oniramon

New Poster from Hawaii

Post by oniramon » September 21st, 2023, 1:19 pm

Hi OH's
I am fairly new to backpacking and am planning on doing the Timberline Trail from 9/25 - 9/29 (or more if needed). However, i see the weather is turning to rain cold for those days with a tropical storm coming in. I'm older, slower and live in Hawaii. This was to be a solo trip but i am open to having people join my adventure. However, i would like advice and suggestions for alternative destinations before jumping into this. Some recent experience: Rocky Mountain Natl Pk, 4 days 3 nights 35 miles; Zion Natl Pk, 3 days 2 nights 30 miles; Haleakala Crater, 3 days 2 nights 20 miles. All solo.

Thank You
Ken

retired jerry

Re: New Poster from Hawaii

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2023, 1:39 pm

I just went around Mt Hood. I am definitely older and slower. It's about 38 miles and 9000 feet elevation gain. The trail was in pretty good shape - a few trees to climb over and under.

Next week there's a lot of rain and streams will be swollen. There have been a couple deaths in recent years from this. Maybe by 9/25 it will be over - check weather reports.

The Three Sisters is another possibility. The stream crossings aren't as difficult and risky. More possibilities for different routes. On the east side there's a little less rain. Check the field guide.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » September 21st, 2023, 2:06 pm

Next week does not look ideal for tackling the Timberline Trail, unfortunately. But it may not be a washout.

The best thing is that with these atmospheric rivers, the snow level generally stays higher than the route. And the NWS says the rain totals are still too far out to pin down, so it could just be showery and a minor inconvenience or it could be soaking rain for early next week.

Maybe if you have the time, waiting until Tuesday to begin may avoid most of the heavier/steady rain?

If you think you'll still enjoy the trip if the mountain is socked in with fog and you're packing up a wet tent every morning, then by all means go for it... the rain forecast won't be enough to make the trail impassable. But if being cold and wet and in the fog for multiple days doesn't sound fun, then maybe sit this one out.

If you need to outrun the rain, generally heading east or south (or a combination thereof) will lead to drier weather. The South Cascades or Wallowas might be drier than Mt. Hood next week.
instagram: @remyodyssey

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2023, 2:22 pm

if you look at https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi it doesn't look very good the next 10 days

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ns/814day/ it doesn't look very good out to 14 days

maybe northern california or even below that

depending on the year, October can be nice

oniramon

Post by oniramon » September 21st, 2023, 6:27 pm

thanks Jerry
i will seriously consider that. Perhaps Tahoe or Vegas (easy access). I don't know if these old bones will handle that much cold rain. What about Oregon desert backpacking?

oniramon

Post by oniramon » September 21st, 2023, 6:33 pm

Thank you everyone! All of your advice will be well taken. If the weather changes (Alot) then i'll consider the this hike, but there are alternatives i will look into when i get to Portland (can't change that flight). This site is a great source of information, wish i found it sooner.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 21st, 2023, 9:09 pm

The Rogue River might be nice this time of year?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2023, 5:50 am

if you look at https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi it shows everything west of cascades including rogue river will get wet

east of cascades would be better.

Broken Top is a little east of cascade crest, something around there would be better

In the winter I'd go to the Deschutes River which is far enough east and low enough elevation to have significantly less rain. A little underwhelming hiking if you're coming from far away, but the desert has a beauty to it.

oniramon

Post by oniramon » September 22nd, 2023, 6:29 pm

I reached out to the Ranger Station in Sisters and she was very optimistic about Three Sisters. She said it would be cold but not too rainy. So I did get an extended overnight permit but will continue to monitor the situation. I even looked at the Wallowa Whitman are, but everything on the mainland is sooo far to drive. We count our drives in minutes, not hours. But i am excited and encouraged by the adventure...One Step at a Time (a slow step).

Thank You,
Ken

idoru

Post by idoru » December 6th, 2023, 1:08 pm

I would be curious to know where you ended up and how things went for you!