New to the group

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
artisan

New to the group

Post by artisan » September 12th, 2023, 10:37 am

Hello! I'm a novice hiker and backpacker, intermediate snowboarder, and enthusiastic lover of all things nature especially old growth forests, glaciers, rocky coastlines, big trees, and waterfalls.

This summer my wife and I, along with our two daughters (ages 7 and 9) have really gotten into hiking. The kids are getting to the age where they can do a few more miles and we have milked this summer for every drop we could squeeze from it.

Our favorite places to be are places like

Olympic National Park
Mt. Rainier National Park
Mt. Hood National Forest
Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area
Gifford Pinchot National Forest
Ecola State Park
Oswald West State Park

I'm particularly interested in delving more into big tree exploration or even big tree climbing, and also alpine hiking or even glacier travel. I would love to pair up with someone or tag along in a group excursion to do something like this.

I'm 38, physically capable, happily married, noncreepy, and I shower and wear deodorant. I can read the room and match conversation or keep quiet, so I think I'd be a great trail companion, and would love to meet others who would be as well.

Thanks for having me!

a few items on my bucket list:
Hart's Cove
Mt. Hood Summit
Sandy Glacier Caves
Valley of the Giants
Big Bottom Cedar Grove
Long Island Cedar Grove
Big tree tour on Vancouver Island
Climb a big cypress (Sequoia sempervirens, Sequoiadendron giganteum, or Thuja plicata)
Backpack the Timberline Trail
Backpack Paradise to Longmire
Backpack the Hoh River Trail
Backpack The Enchantments

idoru

Re: New to the group

Post by idoru » September 12th, 2023, 11:52 am

artisan wrote:
September 12th, 2023, 10:37 am
Backpack The Enchantments
If you have trouble scoring backpacking permits for this, I'd highly recommend checking out the rest of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness - Tank Lakes, Alpine Lakes High Route, Mt. Hinman, Mt. Daniel, Robin Lakes, etc.

artisan

Re: New to the group

Post by artisan » September 12th, 2023, 4:27 pm

idoru wrote:
September 12th, 2023, 11:52 am
If you have trouble scoring backpacking permits for this, I'd highly recommend checking out the rest of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness - Tank Lakes, Alpine Lakes High Route, Mt. Hinman, Mt. Daniel, Robin Lakes, etc.
Thank you! I haven't really ventured into northern Washington much yet, but I certainly plan to, it looks breathtaking. I'll absolutely look into your suggestions.