1st time poster, still learning the area

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
StumblinBear

1st time poster, still learning the area

Post by StumblinBear » September 10th, 2023, 1:57 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the add. While it’s already close to the end of summer, I’m still looking for decent dog-friendly hikes around Portland, the Gorge, and Mt Hood.
Cheers,
Jeff

justpeachy

Re: 1st time poster, still learning the area

Post by justpeachy » September 24th, 2023, 2:02 pm

Welcome! You will find many hikes in the Field Guide. In the Portland area dogs are allowed most places, and if they aren't allowed that is noted in each FG entry. One of the big exceptions is any property owned by Metro. Out in the Gorge and up on Mt. Hood your pup is welcome if you follow Leave No Trace principles. You will find MANY other dog owners out on the popular trails such as Mirror Lake and Multnomah Falls. :D

Charley

Re: 1st time poster, still learning the area

Post by Charley » September 26th, 2023, 9:21 am

StumblinBear wrote:
September 10th, 2023, 1:57 pm
While it’s already close to the end of summer, I’m still looking for decent dog-friendly hikes around Portland, the Gorge, and Mt Hood.
There's lots and lots of hiking to be done in the shoulder seasons and winter! Until the snow gets too deep, your main problem will be rain and cold temperatures. Good rain gear and a sense of adventure will help. After the mountains are covered in snow, there are still low-elevation hikes to look to (especially in the eastern Gorge, which has better weather, anyway). Not to mention cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. There's a lifetime of exploration waiting for you here. :)
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.