Hello there!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
NationalParkAddict

Hello there!

Post by NationalParkAddict » April 30th, 2023, 9:38 pm

Hiya! I live in North Idaho, I've been getting into hiking the last few years and plan to spend a lot of time this summer hiking and backpacking in the Oregon and South Washington cascades! I'll probably use this website to ask questions about some trails and equipment needed, etc, and after I hike trails, I'll post trail conditions.

I'm not very experienced with technical hiking/climbing, but I'm in pretty good shape so I can get a lot of miles done in one day. I suck at photography so I'll probably very rarely post photos.

retired jerry

Re: Hello there!

Post by retired jerry » May 1st, 2023, 5:28 am

I suck at photography but post pictures anyway :)

Aimless

Re: Hello there!

Post by Aimless » May 1st, 2023, 10:01 am

NationalParkAddict wrote:
April 30th, 2023, 9:38 pm
Hiya! I live in North Idaho, I've been getting into hiking the last few years and plan to spend a lot of time this summer hiking and backpacking in the Oregon and South Washington cascades!
In that case, you need to check out the hiking restrictions in these three wilderness areas in the Central Oregon Cascades: Three Sisters, Mt. Washington & Mt. Jefferson. Every trailhead in these wildernesses now requires a special permit if you are backpacking in for overnight trips; if you are only day-hiking then most, but not all, of the trailheads also require special permit. You must obtain these permits in advance via the Recreation.gov website. They are subject to a quota, so the popular ones fill their quotas very fast. More info about how this all works is available on the Recreation.gov website, or the websites for Willamette National Forest & Deschutes National Forest. Sorry to be the bearer of this news. :(

I'll note here that this new quota program is not very popular among the hikers who post here. I hope that by noting this, they won't all chime in and hijack your thread. We already have multiple threads of great length that demonstrate this unpopularity. ;)