First summit climb request

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
jpalladino

First summit climb request

Post by jpalladino » September 6th, 2022, 12:50 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to Oregon hikers. I'm retired and looking for a new and challenging adventure in 2023, seeking any advice to prepare for next year or hike with a group to a summit. My goal is to climb either Bachelor, Adams or a suggested mountain for a first timer. I'm willing to pay for a guide if that service is available.
A little about myself; I'm a 63 yr. old athlete, ready to go! I compete/train for Ironman's and Olympic distance triathlons. Last month, I completed the Alcatraz Island 1.5-mile swim and one triathlon, yesterday I swam across the Columbia 1.1 miles, from Stevenson to Cascade Locks. This year's new adventure was learning to row on the Willamette with a local club and I hope to race in my first regatta in October. I'm an Army veteran, have accumulated over 300+ skydives and am a certified scuba diver.
I'm open to your thoughts. Thanks Jeff

adamschneider

Re: First summit climb request

Post by adamschneider » September 6th, 2022, 1:10 pm

If you're looking to climb a big mountain, the best ones for beginners are Mt. St. Helens and South Sister. They require no special training or equipment.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Adams is not technically difficult. No rockfall or crevasses to fall into like Hood.

I did the Mazama climbing school before climbing Mt Hood.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 6th, 2022, 1:46 pm

Welcome! I have no doubt that you're in great physical condition and need not worry about how strenuous the climb would be. But mountain climbing is technical as well as physical. For an untrained climber in great shape South Sister is a good choice. No technical pitches, just a 4000+ ft. elevation gain, walking up. Middle Sister is a bit less popular, but mainly non-technical if you stay off glaciers. Mt Adams is probably better with a climbing buddy who's been up there before, but is also a good choice. Mt McLoughlin is another walk-up but is better once the wildfire smoke clears away.

The two Sisters climbs require a Central Cascades permit until Oct 15 (pretty sure I got that date right). Adams requires a climbers permit, available at the Trout Lake ranger station.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 6th, 2022, 1:56 pm

I was kind of unimpressed by Mt. McLoughlin, because it doesn't have much cool scenery in the immediate neighborhood. And the mosquitoes below the treeline were terrible.

The cool thing about both Mt. St. Helens and South Sister is that they both have great "reveals" to the north when you reach the summit. With MSH, you're suddenly looking down into the crater and the lava dome, and the whole blast zone is in front of you. On SS, you've got a bird's-eye view of the other two Sisters, and that vista is one of the best in the Cascades.

(Note that both Mt. St. Helens and South Sister require limited-quantity permits. The St. Helens permits are released in monthly batches 30-60 days in advance, and the Three Sisters permits are released in rolling 10-day and 2-day windows.)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2022, 2:31 pm

I just looked at recreation.gov

Central Cascades overnight permits are released 7 days ahead at 7AM

I just noticed Pole Creek and Lava Camp (McKenzie Pass) currently have permits open for several days (7, 6, and 5 days from now). Maybe after Labor Day demand is down enough to be met by supply.

Until October 15

I read about a 10 day and 2 day release but that isn't currently reflected by recreation.gov

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 6th, 2022, 3:36 pm

I just looked at air quality

Three Sisters has a lot of smoke from that fire to the west

Maybe that's why there are available permits at Three Sisters

jpalladino

Post by jpalladino » September 6th, 2022, 4:30 pm

adamschneider wrote:
September 6th, 2022, 1:10 pm
If you're looking to climb a big mountain, the best ones for beginners are Mt. St. Helens and South Sister. They require no special training or equipment.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'll give one of those a try

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 7th, 2022, 10:24 am

retired jerry wrote:
September 6th, 2022, 2:31 pm
I read about a 10 day and 2 day release but that isn't currently reflected by recreation.gov
The 10- and 2-day releases are for day use, not backpacking.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 7th, 2022, 11:10 am

ahhhh...