Lifelong PNWer

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
no_bugs

Lifelong PNWer

Post by no_bugs » August 20th, 2022, 7:36 pm

I've lived in Portland for 30+ years, originally from Seattle. I've done lots of short hikes while car camping, but a few years ago decided I wanted to camp farther away from civilization. So I found this site and planned my first backpacking trip with a couple of friends who had backpacked back in their 20s. Gales Creek, which was certainly a learning experience. Since then we've done other trips, a favorite being the School Canyon - Little Badger Creek loop, also from this site. I joined because I have some questions I haven't found answers to by searching. Mostly about trails suitable for hiking when one doesn't want to travel long miles between campsites. ;)

Picture from a Deschutes River trip this spring.
DeschutesRiverApril22.jpeg

Aimless

Re: Lifelong PNWer

Post by Aimless » August 20th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Welcome. The Field Guide is a great resource, but nothing beats the sort of in-depth local experience you can tap into by asking questions in these forums. I'm constantly amazed by how much our members know and how much they are willing to share. :)

retired jerry

Re: Lifelong PNWer

Post by retired jerry » August 21st, 2022, 6:25 am

welcome

Sometimes I also like to not hike huge distances between campsites. nice to just get out there