Old Lady Learner

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Cinnamon

Old Lady Learner

Post by Cinnamon » July 15th, 2022, 6:56 am

I grew up in Texas in a family that never went outdoors except to travel between a car and a building. As a young adult I hiked/camped a few times and could not understand why anyone would want to do that. Later when I had kids in California I did some backpacking, always with friends who took the lead - loved Yosemite and the Sierras. I moved to Oregon in the 80's, did some backpacking when my kids were young, and stopped for over 20 years. I started doing easy hiking and camping again when I was 70. Now at 80 with a new knee I am hiking as much as I can find time for and hope to be backpacking again.

retired jerry

Re: Old Lady Learner

Post by retired jerry » July 15th, 2022, 7:23 am

great! Welcome

I'm a few years behind you. Hopefully I'll be backpacking when 80.

coaster

Re: Old Lady Learner

Post by coaster » July 26th, 2022, 10:56 pm

Welcome to you!

Another Old Lady here. Are you anywhere near the mid/southern coast? I joined the forum just to look for compatible hiking partners.

I'm still (knock on wood!) in pretty good shape at 69, but my top speed has gone down a bit - tops out nowadays at a blazing 2 mph, 3 on good days, Still pretty good at just keeping on going on the uphills and downhills.

Biggest problem for me is finding that one or two hiking buddies that know their way around trails and don't expect a walk in the woods to be A Walk In The Woods. Also terse - when not laconic - hikers are especially hard to find in these parts and in this age group.

Even if you're not near the coast, are incurably loquacious or just disinclined to join me in a hike, it's so good to see you on this forum.

Coaster