Another Newbie

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
longboard16

Another Newbie

Post by longboard16 » June 30th, 2022, 6:15 pm

Hello, everyone. While I have used the site before I just recently signed on as a member. Until last year, most of my hiking was done to access fishing sites. Yes, I have hike a long ways for some very small trout. Since last year I have hiked just for the sake of hiking and not always fishing. The hiking also allows me to try to learn about my retirement camera, which now should rightfully be called retirement cameraS.

With all the COVID downtime I have watch and listen to a lot of hiking YouTube videos and podcasts and have accumulated most of the right and lightweight equipment for some real hiking. Years ago, make that decades ago, did some backing trips into the Wallowas while attending college in La Grande. I’m ready to get back after tackling some easier ones first.

Finally I would add a thanks to Bobcat, who it appears has provided numerous pictures and comments about his hikes. I mean really is there a place in Oregon he has not treaded on. If I can only get a small fraction of that I would have accomplished something.

bobcat

Re: Another Newbie

Post by bobcat » July 1st, 2022, 9:30 am

Welcome, longboard! Looking forward to your posts!
longboard16 wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 6:15 pm
I mean really is there a place in Oregon he has not treaded on.
Yes, I think 11 or so . . . but I'll get to them yet!

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » July 1st, 2022, 10:09 am

Agreed, Bobcat is the Damien Lillard of the hiking community. The man has amazing stamina and is an excellent writer and photographer. I've always wanted to see a bobcat (real one) on the trail but have only felt the shivers (my dog and I felt some critter was following us on the rocks north of the trail) on a few hikes in Opal Creek.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 1st, 2022, 6:13 pm

BaileyBoy wrote:
July 1st, 2022, 10:09 am
...have only felt the shivers (my dog and I felt some critter was following us on the rocks north of the trail) on a few hikes in Opal Creek.
If something was following you and you felt shivers, that was no bobcat...