Hello! Just moved to Portland from Bend. Pics

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Beargrass

Hello! Just moved to Portland from Bend. Pics

Post by Beargrass » December 19th, 2021, 2:47 pm

Hi my name is Jake 36 years old. I recently moved to Portland from Bend to work in the nursery industry in Damascus/Boring. I was fortunate to live in Bend for 18 years and enjoy the abundant outdoor access the area has to offer. I worked for the Forest Service for many of those years including trail crew work.

I arrived in October and started exploring the Salmon Huck and Zigzag Mountain area every weekend. I found it a unique hiking experience - so many pure ridgeline hikes with few people. And a lot of punishing sets of switchbacks, ha. The only real problem is the shooting area at Wildcat, I could hear it from Devils Peak to Zigzag mountain. Unfortunate the Forest Service is not enforcing the closure.

Anyway, the late snow allowed me to extend my fall hiking season pretty far- I hiked Salmon Butte on December 5th with no trace of snow.

Here's a couple of my fall photo highlights:

Thanksgiving day above Burnt Lake. Sweet lenticular action.
IMG-2321.jpg

View from Huckleberry Mountain Ridgline. Was cool to look back and ID newly familiar routes/ridges.
IMG-2366.JPG

Now I'm shifting focus to the Gorge. I hiked up Herman creek to Slide Creek Falls last weekend. It was a day after torrential rain had fallen and some ephemeral waterfalls had popped up. I'm taking a break now while the low elevation snow does its thing.

I want to say thanks to this website and all contributors, the field guide and trip reports are very thorough and have helped me with planning. I especially like the info on lost trails and off trail routes.

*I don't have anyone to hike with so if anyone is interested please DM me. I have found alot of logs over trails that could easily be improved with handsaws if folks want to do a little trail clearing.
Basically I have no friends in Portland either so if anyone wants to grab a beverage...

Thanks again and I'll try to post some trip reports in the future.

retired jerry

Re: Hello! Just moved to Portland from Bend. Pics

Post by retired jerry » December 19th, 2021, 3:38 pm

I snuck a trip in then also, just before the snows. Next trip is July :)

Welcome

justpeachy

Re: Hello! Just moved to Portland from Bend. Pics

Post by justpeachy » December 19th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Welcome to Portland!

You probably already know this, but just in case: Trailkeepers of Oregon does a lot of volunteer trail work. Here's their events calendar: https://www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/events/