New PCT Hiker

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Truffle

New PCT Hiker

Post by Truffle » August 13th, 2021, 2:58 pm

I'm going to Hike the northernmost section of the PCT in September with my 18-yr-old nephew. Any tips?
I'm a little worried about the fords in this section - anything serious?
I'm also wondering if there's a way to get from Timothy Lake to Timberline Lodge.

Aimless

Re: New PCT Hiker

Post by Aimless » August 13th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Welcome!

How serious the fords you'll encounter will be in September mainly depends on whether there has been any recent volume of rain. There is no paid transport service that could give you a ride from Timothy Lake to Timberline Lodge. If you need a ride, you'll have to arrange it on your own. Best tip I can give is to be flexible in your plans, so they can change with the conditions you meet. It's meant to be enjoyable, not an endurance race. :)

Truffle

Post by Truffle » August 15th, 2021, 5:20 am

Thanks for that! In general, how much water is it generally necessary to carry in northern Oregon?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 15th, 2021, 8:24 am

I don't know enough about your hiking habits or general water needs to speak directly to your situation. I can say that in September your water sources will be mostly confined to major lakes, creeks and rivers. Both ponds and the smaller watercourses that cross the trail won't be reliable in such a dry year.

Truffle

Post by Truffle » August 15th, 2021, 12:38 pm

I originally picked this section because it normally has a lot of water, but I've been concerned about how dry this year has been. Sounds like that's real, so will plan accordingly.

Also, in your first text you mentioned "arranging your own" transportation from Timothy Lake to Timberline Lodge - were you referring to a taxi out of Government Camp, or is there something else out there I could arrange?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 15th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Since there's nothing pre-existing for me to point you at, you get to be creative and find or make your own alternative. You can always walk or hitchhike. ;)

Truffle

Post by Truffle » August 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm

:lol: Gotcha!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 16th, 2021, 5:52 am

usually there are not difficult fords

one year someone was walking around Mt Hood in mid September and drowned in the Sandy River after a large rainstorm. You ought to look at weather reports before going.

getting from Timothy Lake to Timberline is difficult. maybe Uber? they don't serve that area but I bet an individual would be willing to do it if you could connect

there's a shuttle from Portland to Timberline Lodge (mthoodexpress.com) and from Portland to the Columbia gorge PCT (https://www.ridecatbus.org/columbia-gorge-express)

You could walk around Mt Hood or walk from Mt Hood to the Columbia gorge

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 16th, 2021, 6:15 am

It's only ~17 miles on the PCT from Timothy Lake to Timberline Lodge. Maybe just add that mileage to your trip on the PCT and start out from Timothy Lake instead?

I can't imagine that pre-planning a ride would be easy (or cheap), doing a 17 mile day and treating yourself to an overnight at Timberline Lodge would probably be a similar cost.
instagram: @remyodyssey