Eugene-area hiker/backpacker/forager, saying hello :)

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
snow_sketches

Eugene-area hiker/backpacker/forager, saying hello :)

Post by snow_sketches » July 31st, 2021, 9:16 am

Hey there,

Another longtime lurker here; now that I have an account, I'll introduce myself! I'm Joshua. I've lived in Eugene for a while now, although I'm originally from a little Pennsylvanian town right along the AT.

Hiking, backpacking, and mushroom foraging are among my favorite ways to get outdoors. I've done a fair amount of casual adventuring (solo, and with friends) in the OR/ID/WA region over the years. More recently, as I've grown more serious about it (in terms of interest, not demeanor!), I'm realizing that I've still only really just scratched the surface. I aspire to be skilled enough someday for the sorts of cool stuff I see in the longer off-trail trip reports forum here :) But I'm reasonably confident in the woods at this point, and my silliest rookie "learning opportunities" appear to be behind me.

This year, I'm spending a good deal of time in the Central Cascades, on day trips and several-day loops. I've hiked part of the Timberline in the past, and would like to return to complete it...but I'm really curious about the Wallowa-Whitman area, too, and am contemplating a late-August trip there, presuming I have enough time to research. Over the winter, I'm hoping to get deeper into snowshoeing. Eventually, I'd like to learn to climb a bit.

I typically go out alone, but I'm definitely open to meeting up and taking adventures with folks, if it seems like a good fit! If you're in the area, feel welcome to reach out.

Thanks, and see you around!