Backwoods history buff

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
AlpenGlowHiker

Re: Backwoods history buff

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 15th, 2021, 5:26 am

I'd love to learn more about off-trail GPS navigation
FWIW, I use Gaia GPS both for planning (website) and in the field. Caltopo is great for at home, and I believe it also has an app now, so it can be used in the field as well. Gaia Premium has a terrific amount of layers that you can use (sat, snow level, shaded relief, cell service, etc, etc.

Gaia also uses OpenStreetMap for the base map information, which you and I can make better by making changes to it (such as, a road/trail/structure doesn't appear on the map we can add it).

It does have some old maps that you can bring in, but it doesn't have many. I know there is a website out there with historical maps (suggested by Adam Schneider), but now I can't think of it, maybe someone else can chime in.

BClick

Post by BClick » May 17th, 2021, 3:14 pm

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 5:26 am
I'd love to learn more about off-trail GPS navigation
FWIW, I use Gaia GPS both for planning (website) and in the field. Caltopo is great for at home, and I believe it also has an app now, so it can be used in the field as well. Gaia Premium has a terrific amount of layers that you can use (sat, snow level, shaded relief, cell service, etc, etc.

Gaia also uses OpenStreetMap for the base map information, which you and I can make better by making changes to it (such as, a road/trail/structure doesn't appear on the map we can add it).

It does have some old maps that you can bring in, but it doesn't have many. I know there is a website out there with historical maps (suggested by Adam Schneider), but now I can't think of it, maybe someone else can chime in.
Thank you, I've seen some of these options alluded to here but it's good to get an explanation. I'll start doing my research.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 18th, 2021, 10:38 am

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 5:26 am
Could you be thinking of https://www.trailadvocate.org/historica ... ical-maps/ ? I don't know who shared this first.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 18th, 2021, 12:01 pm

No, unfortunately this isn't it.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 18th, 2021, 1:16 pm

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 19th, 2021, 4:25 am

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 19th, 2021, 6:45 am

Welcome! I too love old maps. All the links that have already been shared are ones that I refer to frequently when wanting to view old maps.

There are lots of old threads about historical items on this forum, although many of them are unfortunately missing their embedded images ever since the changes at Photo Bucket and Flickr. Still plenty of good stuff though. :D

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 19th, 2021, 8:38 am

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 4:25 am
I also found another that looks interesting:
https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/topoexplorer/index.html
I don't think I've seen that before. Thanks.