Portland & PCT in 2021

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Hushpuppy-NC

Portland & PCT in 2021

Post by Hushpuppy-NC » March 7th, 2021, 8:09 am

Hello Oregon hikers! My wife & I are “older” (69 & 66) experienced hikers living in North Carolina with plans to visit Portland for a few days late July (pending Covid). We’ll then hit the PCT at Olallie Lake and head north to Cascade Locks with a stopover at Timberline Lodge and that amazing AYCE brunch. I was lucky to thru-hike the PCT in 2015 and can’t wait to return with my wife. We’re open to your suggestions of any/all travel options from Portland to Olallie Lakes as July approaches (in case our son in Portland can’t drive us ). Any Portland trail angels out there who might help out? Thanks in advance and we look forward to hanging out here with you all.

retired jerry

Re: Portland & PCT in 2021

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2021, 8:53 am

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... sportation

A list of public transportation options, gets updated occasionally

There aren't good options to Olallie Lake. You could post again a little ahead of time and maybe someone would give you a ride. There's an Olallie Lake Resort you could talk to, they might give you a ride.

There's a bus from Eugene to Bend that goes over Santiam Pass. Maybe they'd let you out there.

There are good options to Timberline Lodge and Cascade Locks

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 7th, 2021, 9:02 am

The PCT from Olallie Lakes to Mt. Hood is pretty unspectacular. Have you considered going around Hood on the Timberline Trail? The distance would be in the same ballpark as coming up from Ollalie, but the scenery would be much more interesting.

Hushpuppy-NC

Post by Hushpuppy-NC » March 7th, 2021, 9:43 am

Thank you both for your helpful responses. I hadn't seen the public transportation page and the idea of hiking the Timberline Trail before continuing up to Cascade Locks is really appealing. Sort of a shorter version of the Wonderland around Rainier and much easier transportation options at each end. Great suggestion - thank you!

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » March 7th, 2021, 11:41 am

It is also very possible that Olallie Lake doesn't open this year. They are now saying all the roads (access) will be closed until at least mid summer. If that is true, I don't know if Olallie will open this year or not.

Looking at their website: https://www.olallielakeresort.com/

It appears they are expecting to open July 2nd, but my guess is that may change.

Here is a page talking about the Mt Hood NF closure:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/f ... eprd835619

And a page on the PCTA showing the current closure:

https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail ... jefferson/

It looks like about 22 miles of the PCT are closed, and given the glacial nature of the work to re-open it, I wouldn't expect anything in 2021.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Hushpuppy-NC

Post by Hushpuppy-NC » March 9th, 2021, 7:07 am

Thanks for all the info & links re the Olallie/Mt. Jefferson area, Rob. We're currently thinking we'll start with the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood, take 4-5 days, then recover a night at the lodge before heading to Cascade Locks. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a calm fire & Covid summer!