I've been here awhile

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
AlpenGlowHiker

I've been here awhile

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » September 7th, 2020, 5:38 pm

I've been here awhile, but I figured this was probably the most appropriate place to post this.

I just created a YouTube channel, and uploaded my first video. It's from a trip that I did last month -- 9 days, 122 miles on the PCT in Washington -- with my dog.

This video doesn't have much dialogue as the dialogue that I did have was geared towards a tribute for my friend. I wanted this video to be specific to the journey (as much as I could, anyway).

Please check it out, and subscribe to my channel--I would greatly appreciate it!

Chasing the Alpenglow
https://youtu.be/4yaBS4gtDdk

retired jerry

Re: I've been here awhile

Post by retired jerry » September 13th, 2020, 11:11 am

nice video, nice section of PCT, thanks. I was up at the Goat Rocks a month ago.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » September 15th, 2020, 8:45 am

Jerry, you're too kind!

I enjoyed the entire area of Goat Rocks, but I think I enjoyed the north side a bit more so, than south of Knifes Edge, just for the fact that it was more solitary.

However, after nearly every turn I'm sure I muttered "this is magnificent!".

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 15th, 2020, 9:32 am

I got up to Old Snowy, then looked at the Packwood Glacier and the knife's edge and decided I had gone far enough

Are they as difficult as they look?

One thing is, if someone came the other direction it's difficult to pass

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » September 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

Nah, it was a walk in the park. Really, it was. I had my dog with me (as shown in the video) which was the only challenging aspect of it, other than elevation gain.

I did the lower route; and the only tricky spot when passing someone was after the snow fields / and packwood glacier (north end). But you can see if someone else is coming, so you can either wait, or play chicken.

I wear Hoka One One Speedgoat trail runners, and they held firm on the frozen snow/glacier, probably around 7-8am or so.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm

thanks

Now I have to go up there again :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm

Sadly, new fire to the north, but at least the wind is pushing away from Goat Rocks. For now.

Capture.JPG
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7198/
Karl
Back on the trail, again...