Lacing up the boots again

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Nemo

Lacing up the boots again

Post by Nemo » July 28th, 2020, 5:55 am

So I'm getting back into overnight backpacking after some time away due to real life stuff. I'm currently living in Bend, which is considered an epicenter for outdoors fun, though it tends to get pretty crowded at the hiking and mountain biking trailheads.

A little about my outdoorsy past: when I was a teenager (many years ago) up in WA, I used to ride my road bicycle everywhere as that was my only transportation. I had strong lungs and legs back then. I also really enjoyed wilderness backpacking. In the past, I have traipsed around in the Mt Adams and Goat Rocks wildernesses, backpacked the Loowit Trail, climbed Mt St Helens, hiked the Spider Meadow/Lyman glacier loop in the northern Cascades, and done a few dayhikes and a couple overnighters in the Three Sisters area. I've never been able to take long distance trips because I work full time and my vacation/pto doesn't allow for it, usually. But this whole COVID-19 situation has caused me to reevaluate what is truly important in life, and I was reminded that I tend to be a happier person when I am able to get away to the backcountry by myself or with a few likeminded folks. So I'm going to be planning some overnighters in the next few months. Stay tuned.

retired jerry

Re: Lacing up the boots again

Post by retired jerry » July 28th, 2020, 6:07 am

welcome, hiking is a perfect covid activity

as long as you don't fly to get there or ride in a car with non family members

yeah, Bend is epicenter, lots of good places nearby