Steve From Vegas !!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
NotEvenJail37

Steve From Vegas !!

Post by NotEvenJail37 » June 16th, 2020, 10:36 am

Hello All !!

My name is Steve and I live in Las Vegas. 40 years old here, originally from Pittsburgh, bouced around the West coast and have been in Vegas for almost 4 years. I love Oregon and hope to make it a home one day.

I have always been an outdoorsman. I was an avid hunter back east but it's not the same on the West. Since desert hiking, I have found myself to be quite good at longer distance hikes. I love the solitude of hiking solo but I love meeting new people and have a trip to do the Timberline on July 16,17,18. I am open to meeting up with some people that may be around during that time.

This will be my longest backpacking trip, but I know it's simply going to fuel my desire for longer trips.

I will be cruising around the boards for the next 30 days and I am excited to chat with some of you good people.

Cheers !!

Webfoot

Re: Steve From Vegas !!

Post by Webfoot » June 17th, 2020, 2:36 am

Welcome, Steve. Is your profile picture is from the Virgin River Narrows?

NotEvenJail37

Post by NotEvenJail37 » June 17th, 2020, 7:00 am

Hello Webfoot.

Yes it is. I was able to hike both the Narrows bottom up AND top down last year. Bucket list hike for sure.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 18th, 2020, 12:06 am

It's an amazing place. I traveled to that area for the first time last year and hiked as far up the river up from the valley as I was able. I have a bad back so that was only a bit past the Orderville confluence, just where it was really slotting up but far enough. The bus ride out was constant pain but I'd do it again if I got the chance. (I'd try to cache some kind of mattress at the trailhead so I could get a bit of relief before the long ride out.)

NotEvenJail37

Post by NotEvenJail37 » June 18th, 2020, 7:57 am

If you got to Orderville you made it a good way in. Depending on the time of year it gets really sketchy after that. About another 2.5-3 miles after that is Big Springs which is where you have to stop going bottom up. Wall Street is amazing past Orderville but all in all just getting in that river is amazing. I get to Zion about 8 times a year and I never tire of it. Right now it's so overcrowded with no fee collection. I will be doing the Narrows again this fall.