hello from J

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
birdhead_j

hello from J

Post by birdhead_j » May 24th, 2020, 9:25 am

Hey whats up.

I grew up in Snoqualmie and have lived in Portland metro for a hot minute and got into hiking as an actual thing last year. I was used to playing in the woods and doing little camping/fishing trips up logging roads w/ topo map etc, but haven't done any serious backpacking / back country stuff.
I was home taking care of my dad (RIP) this winter/early spring and did a little bit of stuff - Mt Si, tried for Mt. Washington but the trail was flooded out, Dirty Harry's, Little Si - came back home poked around in the Gorge a bit before it got shut down. My dad was really into me getting into hiking before he passed. It has been neat and touching to see the stuff we did on fishing trips translate to backpacking stuff.

Hiking around in the Cascades while I was home made me want to get more familiar with the woods/mountains where I live now, so that's my overall goal. I would like to hike Loowit. I also want to build some backcountry / orienteering skills.

drm

Re: hello from J

Post by drm » May 25th, 2020, 7:59 am

Welcome J. I think the Loowit Trail is open and it usually is best done relatively early when there still is water running - like next month. It's not the easiest way to get started backpacking though, with some rough sections, terrain and routefinding. It's not too extreme, but not exactly what we would call a beginning trip either.

birdhead_j

Re: hello from J

Post by birdhead_j » May 25th, 2020, 8:20 pm

Loowit isn't happening this year. There was the possibility of doing a group thing with more experienced people but covid kind of wrecked that. Ultimately probably for the best.