Introducing Myself

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
JackLHubner

Introducing Myself

Post by JackLHubner » November 25th, 2019, 3:09 pm

My name is Jack.

I'm originally from the South (Alabama, Florida) but have been making trips to Oregon since I was an infant to visit my Grandparents in Eugene. The environment of the Pacific North West was the single biggest factor in my decision to go to school at Oregon State (my grandparents sold me by taking me on trips like a 3 day backpack on the Rouge River). Corvallis provided an awesome base to get out and explore the cascades and solidified my passion for hiking.

I graduated in '18 and joined a conservation corps on a whim. I ended up working in Theodore Roosevelt National Park repairing the Park's fence line, and out of Hurricane, Utah doing more fencing as well as riparian restoration work. This was a phenomenal way to explore new areas.

I just moved to Portland and have already been exploring. I was able to spend a few days car camping in Olympic NP recently. I have signed up to volunteer with Trailkeepers of Oregon, and am looking to get involved with the hiking community here. I mainly do day hikes, however this summer I would like to start backpacking more. I have my eyes set on North Cascades.

Some of my favorite hikes around here are: Mt. Theilson, Divide Lake/Mt. Yoran, Middle Pyramid. I enjoy getting on top of exposed peaks. I also do a bit of bouldering and birding.

I'm hoping I can use this forum to work on becoming connected and informed as a hiker. It's a pleasure to meet y'all.

I apologize if this post reads too much like a cover letter, I've been applying to jobs non stop.
Attachments
IMG_20191028_112334.jpg
IMG_5432.jpg
36480448_2103996876538601_6850416525803782144_o.jpg
19801047_1921057868165837_1502268030283431897_o.jpg

retired jerry

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by retired jerry » November 25th, 2019, 4:28 pm

welcome

Three Sisters is a nice area to backpack near Eugene

Water

Post by Water » November 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Water wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm
What's the story on that hanging fence? Clearly small animals can go around it but does that keep buffalo or cattle or something from pushing through it?
If it's in Teddy Roosevelt, it's going to be bison - unless it's for the extra fat prairie dogs they have out there.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

JackLHubner

Post by JackLHubner » November 25th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Water wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm
What's the story on that hanging fence? Clearly small animals can go around it but does that keep buffalo or cattle or something from pushing through it?
We were repairing the fence-line (8ft tall!) To keep the native bison and horses in the park and range-land cattle out of the park. There are problems with the two species (bison/cattle) interbreeding resulting in hybrid bison. The picture is one of the three floodgates we built along the fence-line. The walls of the wash are too steep to for the fence to travel, and we couldn't build a segment of fence inside the wash as it would accumulate debris during a flood. The floodgates allow for water and debris to pass through easily during severe flooding. That means that theoretically a Bison could push right through the gates, they're easily powerful enough, but they see the gate as a visual deterrent and rarely mess with it. Same with cattle outside of the park.
Bosterson wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm

If it's in Teddy Roosevelt, it's going to be bison - unless it's for the extra fat prairie dogs they have out there.
Man prairie dogs are the worst. At first they were cute, until the fence passed through one of their towns. They would sit on their mounds and squawk at us for 10hrs straight.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » November 25th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, and to Portland!

You'll be able to explore the areas around Hood and Adams since you are now so much closer. And you should definitely put a backpacking trip in the Wallowas on your to-do list.

It seems like I'm up in the mountains most every weekend (albeit less in the winter)... send a PM if you ever wanna join!
instagram: @remyodyssey