New to Oregon Hikes

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
retired jerry

Re: New to Oregon Hikes

Post by retired jerry » September 21st, 2019, 12:35 pm

Normally you can rock hop across streams at this time of year. Or there are logs. Maybe only a foot or two deep if you walk through.

I can think of two deaths in September after heavy rain. The water level can rise to the point it will carry a person downstream. Swift current.

saintandrew

Post by saintandrew » September 21st, 2019, 12:49 pm

Okay, thanks. I’ll keep a weathered eye on the currents. I’m a pretty big guy though. Hopefully enough anchor weight to keep my footing in a average river flow. 🤓 I’ll watch out. Thanks for the info and thoughtfulness on my behalf!
Andrew

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 21st, 2019, 4:24 pm

saintandrew wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 12:27 pm
(the falls and exposure being in the mountaineering trails up the mountain not technically on 600)
If the exposure death you're referencing is last year's, that fellow was hiking the TT. In fact, he had essentially finished, just a short stroll from the lodge with the end literally in sight when conditions changed quickly. He got confused in heavy cloud cover and wound up on the climbers' trail. That was also early October.

Sometimes the bits you think couldn't possibly be a problem are what get you. Maybe especially those bits.

saintandrew

Post by saintandrew » September 22nd, 2019, 7:27 am

Thanks squidvicious -
I do appreciate all the sage advice being given. I hope that my years in the Tetons and northern Michigan (see my original post) have garnered me the skills I need to deal with unexpected events in terms of weather. There’s risk in everything we do in the outdoors and I am respectful of the elements. I was hiking over to Alta ID from Moose WY one September when the worst snow storm I’d seen in the fall blew up on me in the higher altitudes. I know things can change unexpectedly and I’m an experienced and careful hiker. Always have been.
Thanks for your thoughts and best regards,
Andrew

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » September 23rd, 2019, 6:58 am

saintandrew wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:42 pm
from the trail head at Timberline Lodge, does starting out clockwise toward Paradise Park Loop make the 5% any less confusing than going counter clockwise toward white river? Any difference in river crossings?
I'd say 75% or more of the hikers do the trail clockwise from Timberline Lodge. But that's the same direction that hiker was going last year, and less than a mile from completing the trail the weather closed in and he accidentally took an unmarked climbing trail wayyyyy up the mountain.

I generally recommend going anticlockwise, but that's generally because of the huge crowds on summer weekends going clockwise. But you probably won't have much company the first week of October. The later you start in the day, the more I would recommend going clockwise (only 5 miles to good campsites at Paradise Park and easier trail to follow in the dark, should it be necessary).

As far as the technicality of the trail one direction versus the other, I think they both are about the same. Just try to plan major stream crossings for the morning, and have a method of determining your location just in case you end up on any of the unmarked side trails.

Best of luck with your adventure, and we'd better see a trip report posted once you're done!
instagram: @remyodyssey