Getting back into day hikes

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Jeff71

Getting back into day hikes

Post by Jeff71 » July 28th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I used to hike quite a bit but do to various circumstances with work and family and getting older I slacked off. My feet started aching whenever I was on them a lot and so I gave up hiking thinking it would make it worse.

Long story short, I realized the aches and pains of getting older (past 60) are going to be there and I can either be lazy and ache or be active, enjoy more and ache. So I started doing part-time labor jobs after I retired from office work. At first my feet were very sore but after about a two years working on my feet they no longer bothered me! Use it or lose it.

So now I am coming to my senses and realizing I need to get back on the trails. I am back into decent physical condition and ready to try out the hills again. Heading out to Elk Mtn-King Mtn-Elk Creek in kind of a loop later this week for a first hike.

Anyway, I am browsing through many of the posts here to get updates on trail conditions, new regs, where folks are headed, etc. I look forward to learning about new trails and rediscovering old familiar ones. I used to hike some hills along the coast and coast range, South-West-North sides of Mt Hood, Mt. St. Helens and Rainier. Up until 1997 I lived in Olympia and grew up hiking the Olympics, North Cascades, Rainier and St. Helens before she blew her top. I had gotten into doing long day hikes instead of overnighters so logged many 20-28 mile hikes. Last long one was about 2007 then hiked more sporadically and did mostly 10-20 milers.

My initial goal is to do lots of ten milers this year and be ready to get back into the 10-20 mile range next year.