Not a Local

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Bosterson

Re: Not a Local

Post by Bosterson » February 26th, 2019, 7:21 pm

jhiker001 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:53 pm
If I could pick your brain one more time, I'd appreciate it- If this Eagle Cap trip falls through due to snow conditions, what else do you recommend? We're flying into Portland at the end of July and we have about a week. What do you think of Goat Rocks?
If Eagle Cap has a lot of snow in July, the Goat Rocks will as well (plus lots of bugs!). It's turning out to be a big snow year, but it could all melt away during a heatwave in May like it did last year.

Eagle Cap is amazing and there's lots of different areas to visit. (I have backpacked there 9 out of the prior 10 summers.) The Lakes Basin is the most popular but also the most crowded, which I would say makes it the most overrated. Go to lower river basins (like the Imnaha) and there will probably be less snow. But I think even in a high snow year the end of July will be fine. You might encounter snow higher up but that's not a big deal. Campsites should be snow free. The south side of Eagle Cap is much less crowded if you have the time and inclination to go down there.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

mountainkat

Re: Not a Local

Post by mountainkat » April 27th, 2019, 4:07 pm

jhiker001 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:53 pm

If I could pick your brain one more time, I'd appreciate it- If this Eagle Cap trip falls through due to snow conditions, what else do you recommend? We're flying into Portland at the end of July and we have about a week. What do you think of Goat Rocks? Three Sisters? Mt. Rainier? (I hiked a portion of the Wonderland Trail about 20 years ago but that feels like so long ago) Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Hi, JHiker001,

I am originally from PA. From a town south of Pittsburgh. :)

Your Eagle Cap trip sounds great. You were wondering about ideas for alternatives if the Eagle Cap trip falls through...

Well, I am partial to the north and central Cascades of Washington myself and I feel like the drive from Portland to many places in those areas is just about equivalent or less than the drive to Eagle Cap.

Additionally, the Washington Cascades have a below normal snowpack this year. So, if your trip does fall through and you need some ideas for North/Central Cascades of Washington or even the Olympics, feel free to private message me.