Not a Local

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Bosterson

Re: Not a Local

Post by Bosterson » February 26th, 2019, 7:21 pm

jhiker001 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:53 pm
If I could pick your brain one more time, I'd appreciate it- If this Eagle Cap trip falls through due to snow conditions, what else do you recommend? We're flying into Portland at the end of July and we have about a week. What do you think of Goat Rocks?
If Eagle Cap has a lot of snow in July, the Goat Rocks will as well (plus lots of bugs!). It's turning out to be a big snow year, but it could all melt away during a heatwave in May like it did last year.

Eagle Cap is amazing and there's lots of different areas to visit. (I have backpacked there 9 out of the prior 10 summers.) The Lakes Basin is the most popular but also the most crowded, which I would say makes it the most overrated. Go to lower river basins (like the Imnaha) and there will probably be less snow. But I think even in a high snow year the end of July will be fine. You might encounter snow higher up but that's not a big deal. Campsites should be snow free. The south side of Eagle Cap is much less crowded if you have the time and inclination to go down there.
Will hike off trail for fun.

mountainkat

Re: Not a Local

Post by mountainkat » April 27th, 2019, 4:07 pm

jhiker001 wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 6:53 pm

If I could pick your brain one more time, I'd appreciate it- If this Eagle Cap trip falls through due to snow conditions, what else do you recommend? We're flying into Portland at the end of July and we have about a week. What do you think of Goat Rocks? Three Sisters? Mt. Rainier? (I hiked a portion of the Wonderland Trail about 20 years ago but that feels like so long ago) Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Hi, JHiker001,

I am originally from PA. From a town south of Pittsburgh. :)

Your Eagle Cap trip sounds great. You were wondering about ideas for alternatives if the Eagle Cap trip falls through...

Well, I am partial to the north and central Cascades of Washington myself and I feel like the drive from Portland to many places in those areas is just about equivalent or less than the drive to Eagle Cap.

Additionally, the Washington Cascades have a below normal snowpack this year. So, if your trip does fall through and you need some ideas for North/Central Cascades of Washington or even the Olympics, feel free to private message me.