new poster here (and Inca Trail recommendation)

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
heatherchai

new poster here (and Inca Trail recommendation)

Post by heatherchai » June 17th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Hi everybody,
I've been using the site since seeing the story on KATU last summer, but haven't posted much. I spent the winter and spring doing training/conditioning hikes, mostly in the Gorge, in prep for doing the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu (Peru) . The colder than normal spring (and loads of snow at low elev.) had me continually re-arranging hiking plans and looking for trails with elevation, but that were still hike-able. Thanks for all the trip reports/guidance/advice posted to the forums on this site. I always check the postings before I head off on a new hike.

If you haven't done the Inca Trail, I thought it was pretty amazing and would recommend it. The hike is tough (lots of steps and steep uphill/downhill sections). But I was so well conditioned from all the hiking I'd been doing, that I was able to go at a very comfortable pace and still be in the front of the group. The altitude is tough too, but a lot of huffing and puffing even on the gentle parts of the trail. The Coca tea and Diamox really helped with the altitude, we had no altitude sickness in our group thankfully.

I look forward to finally getting to hit some of the snow-laden trails later this summer. Have they thawed out yet? I assume the Gorge trails are bare, but Mt Hood trails are still buried. Is that about right?

Thanks,
Heather
Attachments
P6011420-1[1].JPG
Summit of Huayna Picchu looking down on Machu Picchu

jeffstatt

Re: new poster here (and Inca Trail recommendation)

Post by jeffstatt » June 17th, 2008, 3:33 pm

I'm so glad you introduced yourself!

Wow what a photo!

Yeah no kidding, the snow levels are crazy this year!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 17th, 2008, 7:37 pm

heatherchai wrote:I look forward to finally getting to hit some of the snow-laden trails later this summer. Have they thawed out yet? I assume the Gorge trails are bare, but Mt Hood trails are still buried. Is that about right?
Yup, that's about right. The Gorge is mostly 4000' and below, and Mt. Hood is 4000' feet and up... and I'm guessing that's about where the snow line is at these days.

Martell

Post by Martell » June 18th, 2008, 6:54 pm

I'm not too afraid of heights but that photo gives me that feeling you get when you look over the edge of a cliff or down from a tall building.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

fettster

Post by fettster » June 18th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Nice work. Let's see some more pictures! ;) Must have been a great adventure.

Delfiin

Post by Delfiin » June 19th, 2008, 9:18 pm

It's always great to see pictures from the Inca Trail. I still consider that one of my all time best trips. The extra hike up to Huayna Picchu was one of the best parts. A nice chance to get away from some of the crowds and take in the view. Did you stay at the hostel along the trail the night before arriving at Machu picchu? We left the hostel at about 4 am to be at the sun gate by dawn, only to realize it would be a cloudy day. Okay, enough reminiscing.
Welcome to the site. You will have to share all of your upcoming adventures with us.