New to the forum, but not to hiking

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
MarkW

New to the forum, but not to hiking

Post by MarkW » April 23rd, 2018, 9:34 am

I have lived in the Portland area all of my life and have been camping/hiking since I was a kid. As an adult almost all of my camping trips have been backpack trips.

I have been reading these forums for most of the time they have been up but haven't posted anything. That is just how I usually roll. I am very impressed with much of what I have seen here.

I had long thought of volunteering for trail maintenance work parties, but at one point I read a blog that made it sound like you have to be exceptionally tough to handle it. I like to exercise but that blog post put me off doing trail work. Then last year I got an email from MSHI advertising a work party with Washington Trails Association that had the 3 magic words: "no experience necessary". I went with them to Independence Pass trail and spent most of a day removing an alder from the trail. I had a great time.

Since them I have done several work parties for TKO and I intend to keep doing it. The last month or so I have gone on work parties more often than I have gone hiking. I have even met some of the frequent posters on the forum.

In a couple of weeks I will go to a PCTA trail skills college near McKenzie Bridge.

Aimless

Re: New to the forum, but not to hiking

Post by Aimless » April 23rd, 2018, 3:33 pm

Although it sounds like you've been here all along, welcome to the forums!

bobcat

Re: New to the forum, but not to hiking

Post by bobcat » April 28th, 2018, 11:38 am

Thanks also for all the trail work you've been doing. Appreciate your time and effort . . .