Hello

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Wonky

Hello

Post by Wonky » January 25th, 2018, 10:08 am

Hello Everyone!

My name is Stephen. I'm originally from Missouri-the part of the state where the name doesn't end in an "A." I've lived all over, from Connecticut to Georgia, California to finally Salem, Oregon with a few more stops in between.

I've day hiked for about a decade now and just started backpacking last year and fell in love with it. I am an introvert and don't know many people in the area. I have been teaching myself-with help from REI classes and videos on Youtube. I've done a couple overnights, and 2 multi night trips near Mt Jefferson and Three Fingered Jack. I had planned to do Timberline trail at the end of September but I waited too long and the snow forecast scared me away. I'm married but while she loves day hiking, backpacking holds no interest for her.

I hope to meet people here and get my first experience of not backpacking solo. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and get out in the woods!

texasbb

Re: Hello

Post by texasbb » January 25th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Wonky wrote:I hope to meet people here and get my first experience of not backpacking solo.
Most folks have to be prodded and cajoled into trying their first solo trip, so you've already got a leg up on the majority!

Welcome from a misplaced Texan (in my part of the state that ends in "un" :)), now living in eastern WA (I also end that with "un"). Introverts rule!

Wonky

Post by Wonky » January 25th, 2018, 8:12 pm

texasbb wrote:Most folks have to be prodded and cajoled into trying their first solo trip...
I had someone that was supposed to start going backpacking with, but every time there was an reason not to go. I'm told they can go this summer for sure... We shall see.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » May 1st, 2018, 11:18 am

Stephen,

I'm a little slow here, but welcome!
So, I am curious, which part of Missouri doesn't end in an "a"?

Our daughter lives S central, just south of Ava. Very pretty country, on the edge of the Ozark uplift. It reminds me a lot of the country between Salem & the coast.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Wonky

Post by Wonky » May 1st, 2018, 11:48 am

I'm from Springfield, which seems to be the only part that doesn't. Of course, we barely acknowledged St Louis, Kansas City or even our state capital of Jefferson City. We seemed to do things our way :)

I moved to Salem because the areas were so similar. Here we have huge trees, mountains and coasts, there, we had lightning storms and tornadoes. So pretty equal.

Wonky

Post by Wonky » May 17th, 2018, 7:28 am

Nice to meet you. Are you new to Oregon?