family of 3 looking for now kid friendly hikes

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
marion

family of 3 looking for now kid friendly hikes

Post by marion » January 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm

we have been hiking and backpacking oregon for a few years now but now we have an 18 month old little one that can walk and hike with us in the backpack. We both don't know many kid friendly hikes around our area that are great for just an evening hike in summer and a weekend backpacking trip. anybody have any advise and great hikes that they personally did with kid as walker and sitting in the backpack?

bobcat

Re: family of 3 looking for now kid friendly hikes

Post by bobcat » January 18th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Hi Marion,

We have a category in our Field Guide for Family Hikes. The index for our Field Guide lists lots of easy hikes

There are lots of quick outings in and around Portland and the Willamette Valley: https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Portland_Hikes

There are a lot of short backpacks into lakes and up creeks. I'd be leery about the short lake backpacks, though. They tend to attract the party crowd rather than the toddler crowd. One area that seems to have less of this is the Olallie Lake Scenic Area.

Yes, personally I did a lot of these when I had a toddler (26 years ago!).