A Similar Theme

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
f1209

A Similar Theme

Post by f1209 » June 20th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Hello there

I wish I chose a different user name - my Instagram name better reflects my journey. But whatever. Unless it can be changed by a moderator...

I'm going to be completely unoriginal and tell you that I have used the field guide as my initial go-to resource for a few years now, but now plan to try and give back a little by posting trip reports. How effective I'll be at that, we'll see. There is definitely a theme of people that have used the guide, that want to contribute more. The field guide itself has been really useful, and I always look for trip reports for more information. Some trails obviously, have more feedback than others. I hope to maybe add to some of the lesser ones.

So, er me.

I'm from the UK, been in Oregon for over 12 years. I've been hiking for a few years, not sure how to describe my experience level - intermediate, probably. I tend to hike solo, so that I can keep my own pace, stop every 10 yards to take a photo, and avoid crowds. I seek out the lesser visited trails, but am not averse to the popular paths. I enjoy grand vistas, tiny flowers, and little wildlife. Birdsong is a great soundtrack but I rarely see any of those noisemakers ;) Sometimes, my 9-year old daughter comes with me on shorter hikes. She's a budding photographer so I encourage that. She's not too fond of the heat, or elevation, though.

I like being outside. I can enjoy a ramble on a semi-urban hike (think local nature park) or a longer trek up to somewhere like McNeil Point. I typically don't go over 8-10 miles on a hike. My other passion out there on the trail, is to photograph the experience. Sometimes, it's a lazy cellphone shot. Sometimes, it's the DSLR.

For the rest of the year, I'm aiming to just get out there. Mt Hood National Forest is my go-to, but I want to explore a few other areas around Jefferson, the Sisters, Smith Rock, etc. Broken Top is probably my must-do.

Longer term - I plan several summits in a year - it was my original plan to do so this year, but...

I would also like to give back and do some trail maintenance volunteering.

I'm not averse to hiking with others, but as I said, my pace can be all over the place.

So, I suppose I should post a trip report or two...

retired jerry

Re: A Similar Theme

Post by retired jerry » June 21st, 2017, 5:11 am

Broken Top is a good must do

welcome

Aimless

Re: A Similar Theme

Post by Aimless » June 21st, 2017, 9:21 am

I would also like to give back and do some trail maintenance volunteering.

A great intention! For most of us it is hard to find time for serious trailwork volunteering, but everyone can toss a folding pruning saw or hand clipper in their pack, especially early in the hiking season, or you can just remove debris that's fallen on the trail.