An Oregon Visitor (and hiker) summer of 2017

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Trail_Trekker

An Oregon Visitor (and hiker) summer of 2017

Post by Trail_Trekker » June 19th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Hi hikers!

I am in Baker City for the summer on business. I'll be in Oregon through the end of August (except for an already planned two-week backpacking trip in the New York Adirondacks). Home is Maryland. Once I leave Oregon, I'll likely drop out of this group.

I am a solo business traveler and hiker but always appreciate company. If anyone is interested in weekend day hikes or backpacking trips, I would love to meet up.

I am especially interested in backpacking the Elkhorn Crest Trail while I'm here, but would love to do it with someone else for safety and car shuttles. If you're interested, let me know.

btw, I'm a 60-year old female hiker (not the fastest hiker, but I get there). I have thru-hiked the AT and LT and numerous other shorter trails. In fact, I'll be doing the 135-mile Northville-Lake Placid Trail in the Adirondacks end of this month.

I'll be back in Oregon middle of July with backpack and looking for weekend adventures. Suggestions?

Trail-Trekker (Becky)[/color]

Bosterson

Re: An Oregon Visitor (and hiker) summer of 2017

Post by Bosterson » June 20th, 2017, 10:17 am

Baker City is a great home base for weekend trips out to Eagle Cap, especially the south side. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

raven

Post by raven » June 22nd, 2017, 10:03 pm

And the south side of the Eagle Cap is orphaned compared to the north side. Beautiful country. (The north side of the Wallowas is more quickly accessed from Portland.)

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 23rd, 2017, 6:30 am

I've never met a place in the Wallowas that wasn't gorgeous. The north has the Lakes Basin and all that, with more of the calendar/placemat photo ops:

The south, at least the few parts I've explored, has a more rugged, wild, remote feel to it, even though many of its lakes have been dammed or...undammed (they sawed a big notch out of Traverse's outlet rocks so they can drain more of it for the thirsty humans down below):

Baker City is well positioned for either end I'd say. :)

Trail_Trekker

Post by Trail_Trekker » June 23rd, 2017, 3:43 pm

Wow, thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I will be sure to check some or all of these out.
I head out tomorrow for two weeks of backpacking in the Adirondacks in New York and then I return to Oregon. And now it seems I'll likely be there through the end of September, a month longer than orginally thought. I am okay with that. May take that many weekends to see even half the beautiful lakes, streams, forests, and canyons waiting for me to explore.
Becky

raven

Post by raven » June 23rd, 2017, 11:05 pm

You don't have time in 3 months of weekends to sample much in the way of outdoor beauty. And in Baker you are far from the Cascades, which form much of the climatic and ecological variety that make this state a jewel. Take two weeks or a month at the end of business trip for a tour. You'll likely have at least a couple of good weeks before the winter rains begin.