Goal: Hike every weekend!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
lisaemmagibbs

Goal: Hike every weekend!

Post by lisaemmagibbs » June 19th, 2017, 9:04 am

Hello all!

I would categorize myself as a novice hiker. I am looking to expand my expertise this summer. I am looking for tips on hikes and gear, and perhaps a hiking buddy!

I have already done Saddle Mountain, Silver Falls, Dog Mountain, Tumalo Falls and Wildwood trail (pieces) this year. My end of the summer goal is Mount Defiance.

Coming up on my "to hike" list:
Angels Rest
Eagle Creek to Tunnel Falls
Smith Rock
Mirror Lake
South Sister (2nd goal hike)

Open to tips and suggestions for my list and for my pack! I usually just hike with a bladder and some food/protein bars. I am in the market for some poles!

Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Lisa

adamschneider

Re: Goal: Hike every weekend!

Post by adamschneider » June 19th, 2017, 9:24 am

lisaemmagibbs wrote:I am in the market for some poles!
One word: Costco. They sell a set for $30 that are as good as anything REI sells for $100. They're carbon fiber and come with four different sets of "feet."

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 19th, 2017, 12:25 pm

lisaemmagibbs wrote: Open to tips and suggestions for my list and for my pack! I usually just hike with a bladder and some food/protein bars. I am in the market for some poles!
I never hike without a headlamp in my pack, on the off chance that something happens and I get stuck out past dark. That's one of those lessons you tend learn the hard way, like touching a hot stove. :) In general, it's prudent to take 10 essentials type stuff any time you go out - I have a little mesh bag with all that stuff that I can pull out and swap between packs when I'm prepping for different types of trips.

There are too many places in the NW worth recommending, but keeping it close to home, two of the best hikes in the Gorge are Munra Point and Table Mountain. Unfortunately, both have "issues" at the moment - Munra (which is a non-maintained trail) is horribly overrun with people who are creating user paths every which way (go early to avoid crowds), and Table is 16 mi r/t from Bonneville because the closer TH that made it 8 mi is closed to the public (though there are ways around this if you're clever). Indian Point is also a nice spot for a view. (I guess I should note that all of these places are cliffy, if that's a concern.)

For Defiance training, just try to get in some hikes that gain > 3000 ft of EG. Nesmith is 3700 (not a super interesting hike though), and anything that goes to the Benson is at least 4000. Getting in some longer hikes (15+ miles) will also build fitness that will make the 5000 ft of EG on Defiance feel a bit easier! Tanner Butte is one of the best viewpoints in the Gorge, and one of the best endurance dayhikes at around 4700 ft of EG and 19 mi r/t (the climb is pretty gradual though). Larch Mountain from Multnomah Falls is also nice, around 14 mi and 4000 ft EG, and takes you through some lovely old forest along Multnomah Creek. If you work up to these in the next couple of months, that'll put you in good shape for Defiance later in the summer. Just be sure to bring a map before you wander off into the recesses of the Gorge! :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 19th, 2017, 12:51 pm

Skip Defiance. South Sister has the same specs and about 100x the payoff.