New to Portland - From Pennsylvania!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
EricaH27

New to Portland - From Pennsylvania!

Post by EricaH27 » June 12th, 2017, 7:46 am

Hello All!

I recently moved to Portland from Pennsylvania (where it is entirely flat). I was stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord a few years ago which was how I fell in love with the mountains. I am happy to be back for good and have been enjoying the more demanding hikes - mostly exploring the Gorge for now.

I typically do a lot of solo stuff but am hoping to meet some fellow Oregon hikers for tips and possibly partners for some of the stuff I am uncomfortable in going out alone on.

I am still getting used to these longer hikes with elevation gain but have high aspirations and an interest in mountaineering. So far I have done Oneonta, Tom Dick and Harry until I lost footprints past Mirror Pond, Dog Mountain, and Oneonta to Bell Creek loop. I am checking out Mount Defiance or Larch Mountain this weekend and have a trip planned for South Sister at the end of August. Of course I got here after a high snow season so I am eagerly awaiting some of the stuff that is still inaccessible!

If you've ever been to the East the most prominent hike I've done was Old Rag in Shenandoah, VA. I didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked before I left. If you've ever been to South Korea - I've done Mount Taebaeksan, which was incredible.
16996046_10100866405823017_5465124044396457629_n.jpg
Cloudy with a storm coming in at Old Rag
417297_747296385327_702745191_n.jpg
Foggy day on Mt. Taebaek
Looking forward to sharing adventures!

-Erica

Aimless

Re: New to Portland - From Pennsylvania!

Post by Aimless » June 12th, 2017, 8:31 pm

Welcome to OH.org. It sounds like you're from a lot more places than just Pennsylvania. I can't claim I had the good sense to move here. I just had the dumb luck to be born here. Anyway, if you stick around long enough, you can be from Oregon. It's not a very exclusive club these days, but the benefits are worth the dues! :D