New here from Arizona. Sorry, I didn't bring any sun!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
azbackpackr

New here from Arizona. Sorry, I didn't bring any sun!

Post by azbackpackr » April 27th, 2017, 4:42 am

Hello future friends,
I'm a hiker, backpacker, cyclist and kayaker (mostly flat water) from Arizona. Well, I wasn't born in Arizona, but I lived there 30 years. I also have lived in San Diego, and 8 years on the Big Island (Hawai'i). My first backpacking trip was in 1972, when I was 19, in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, San Diego County.

My most recent job was as a eco-tour guide at Grand Canyon (interpretive van tours, for three seasons, specializing in geology, but also covering history, flora, fauna and Native Americans.) I've done a lot of backpacking in the Canyon, mostly on the "non-Corridor" trails and routes. I'm not a fan of the touristy "rim to rim" fanaticism, so don't ask me about that, although I've done it, and yes, I've been to Havasu Falls lots of times. I've been a permit holder on several private river trips in Grand Canyon. I'm not a great boatman but I can row some whitewater. Having backpacked and hiked all over Arizona, a little bit in southern Utah, a lot in San Diego County, CA, and a little in the Sierras, CA, I may or may not have something to share if you are planning a trip to those areas.

Another thing I was working on before moving up here was paddling my sea kayak down the flatwater part of the lower Colorado River, Hoover Dam to the Mexican border. I lack about 50 miles of that, which I had intended to finish up this past winter, but moved to Oregon instead.

I lived in my RV for three years. But now my home is a tiny cabin in Wren, which is west of Corvallis. How I came to leave Grand Canyon and move up here to the rain is a longish story which I'll be happy to tell if asked.

Last summer I had a stress fracture on a metatarsal, left foot, which put a big dent in my backpacking plans for the late summer and fall. Only just this week I'm beginning to go on very short hikes (3 miles) with no pain. Instead I've been riding my bike, swimming and paddling for exercise.

So, that's enough for now.
Elizabeth

Peder

Re: New here from Arizona. Sorry, I didn't bring any sun!

Post by Peder » April 27th, 2017, 10:06 am

Welcome Elizabeth! I hope that you foot heals soon, so that you can fully enjoy the great hiking around here and the weather is pretty good for about 5 months in summer.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 27th, 2017, 6:49 pm

Elizabeth, welcome to Oregon. Hope your stress fracture heals soon and you can start exploring this wonderful part of the world. I think you will find this is a great forum to meet like minded folks who enjoy and treasure what our area has to offer.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

azbackpackr

Post by azbackpackr » April 27th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Thanks very much, Don and Peder!