Hello all!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Russ

Hello all!

Post by Russ » April 16th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Come August & September, for the first time in 40 years I will have the opportunity to hike/backpack in Oregon. Grew up in Madras but left there over 50 years back. Last lived in Portland in '78. I am 72 but in excellent health and run or hike over the hills in our area on a regular basis.

Now retired and living in Turkey my wife and I plan to spend August and September in Oregon backpacking. Too many places I have never seen and would love to see the animals one more time. Last year we did the Tour du Mont Blanc which is 110 miles and crosses three countries as you go around the Mont Blanc massif.

We did see all of a dozen marmots and one squirrel! In Europe if you want to see wildlife you have to carry a picture book along - not for identification but that is the only way to see wildlife.

In August we are planning to walk the Oregon Coast Trail. I have searched for it in the field guide but am apparently not searching correctly.

We have reasonable experience and have belonged to a hiking club here in Izmir, Turkey.

Webfoot

Re: Hello all!

Post by Webfoot » April 17th, 2017, 2:14 am

Fascinating introduction. Welcome back, I guess? :) I hope to see a trip report from you.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 17th, 2017, 6:29 am

welcome

The Oregon Coast Trail is not really a trail. There are some sections with trail, some where you just walk along the road. A couple places there's a river you have to figure out how to cross or detour around.

If I was making a rare Oregon trip I'd do something in the Cascades, like the trail around the Three Sisters (that you can see from Madras). August/September would be the best time of the year.

Russ

Post by Russ » April 17th, 2017, 6:44 am

Thanks Retired Jerry, I have seen your reviews.trip reports on places I want to visit. You seem to "get around"!

I see that shortcoming on the Coast Trail - unfortunately the wife thinks it sounds OK. I may be able to talk her around over the next couple of months.

My wife likes the European style of trekking where there is accommodation at the end of each day. At least we will have hot showers once in a while though from what I see of prices it will be expensive showers.

In September we plan to spend time in the Cascades and over to Joseph and the Eaglecap Wilderness. Strawberry Mountain and Elkhorn Crest also look great.

Russ

Post by Russ » April 17th, 2017, 6:45 am

Hi Webfoot - Thanks! Hope to be able to post a few of those trip reports!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 17th, 2017, 7:04 am

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/parks/Pages/oct_main.aspx

Sullivan is a good source of hiking books including the coast. I believe his website is oregonhiker.com (no relation to this website :) )

I did Strawberry Mt a couple years ago and wasn't that impressed - hot, less developed trails. I've been to Wallowas a number of times and think that's better, for example the Lostine Trail to Mirror Lake and Eagle Cap, or from Wallowa Lake up towards Eagle Cap. Elkhorn Crest is on my list to do and supposed to be good.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 17th, 2017, 7:19 am

I put a link to it in the field guide, thanks, user feedback makes this better :)