Would like easy/int trail in ecl. path of totality (August)

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Mechsoldier

Would like easy/int trail in ecl. path of totality (August)

Post by Mechsoldier » April 12th, 2017, 5:43 am

Hey there, I'm a Washington hiker. My personal experience is pretty high. I was in the Army, so I've done an 18 mile hike in the snow in Kentucky starting at 3 AM after being in the forest for a week. It was so cold the water truck wouldn't unfreeze to get water until 2 or 3 in the afternoon and then would freeze up again at like 1800 hrs. The hills Agony and Misery are aptly named. Imagine that with a 50 lb pack, a rifle, and at times a gas mask or carrying a man heavier than you to "evacuate him because he's a casualty"

https://jbburrows.wordpress.com/2010/03 ... ny-misery/

I've done land nav with nearly no sleep, and looked around in awe when I ran across this river in FT Knox only about 2 inches deep running over shale looking rock for as far as I could see.

I'm looking for an intermediate trail that's on the easy side, I'll have my 9 year old son, wife, and be carrying the 2 year old. I'd like to know if there's a 4 or so mile jaunt to a lake on the eastern side of the mountains to lessen the chance of clouds. Any ideas?

retired jerry

Re: Would like easy/int trail in ecl. path of totality (Augu

Post by retired jerry » April 12th, 2017, 6:16 am

There's a thread about that with a bunch of ideas http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... e&start=20

Good idea going East of mountains, although August is usually pretty good everywhere, there can be thuderstorms east, good to look at weather reports a few days ahead.

Mechsoldier

Re: Would like easy/int trail in ecl. path of totality (Augu

Post by Mechsoldier » April 12th, 2017, 11:44 pm

Yeah, I just know that west of the mountains is more likely to get all that ocean moisture, just like here in Seattle...and yes we're going to absolutely keep fluid as far as where we'll go. If I gotta hit Idaho I may. I'd like to be miles from anybody else but 10 or 20 people within a couple square miles of me...since I'm going to make the trip down I may as well hike.