Hello - This has been my go to reference, time to contribute

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Krumb

Hello - This has been my go to reference, time to contribute

Post by Krumb » March 14th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Hi all, I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I grew up in the beautiful area that is the Columbia River Gorge and have lived in the Vancouver/Portland area for the better part of my adult life. I've used this site as a resource on multiple instances and thought it was time to jump in and be a contributing part of the community. You may have see me on the trails on the historic highway, as it is a go to. I would be the one running around in jeans and a t-shirt most of the time, though this year I may opt for a bit more comfort.

Growing up in the Gorge I've hiked all my life. It wasn't unusual for us to just go up into the mountains and go until we found our way back out. There is nothing quite like getting away and deep into the forest away from everything else to help restore some of that sense of peace that the work week can rob you of.

I hike a lot of times on my own, as it is usually difficult to get anyone to agree to be on the trail by sunrise. I am, however, more that willing to partner up with others to head out.

As for personal highlights of my hiking career:

I attempted Mt. Adam with a small group. We headed out in the early in the morning and were on the trail ahead of the sun. I underestimated this venture as I was seriously under prepared in the number of calories I would need and had to stop 100 yards shy of the false summit. That said, it was a great learning experience and one of the most beautiful outings I've been on.

Last summer I did the Multnomah to Larch summit on my own. While being a long hike, about 14 round-trip, it was among the most peaceful. The summit is incredibly breathtaking and was an amazing reward for the work.

As for my to-do list this summer:
  • -Dog Mountain during the blooms.
  • -Mount Defiance.
  • -Dog Mountain a second time in under 2.5 hours. Long term I would like to bring that down to 2 hours or less.
  • -Mount Defiance.
  • -Multnomah to Larch again as soon as the trail opens.
  • -Possibly Table Mountain
  • -Plus whatever else is brought to my attention.
I appreciate this website and all the work that is put in. I am a large fan of the trip reports and will be posting my report from this last weekend shortly. :)

retired jerry

Re: Hello - This has been my go to reference, time to contri

Post by retired jerry » March 14th, 2017, 3:36 pm

welcome

yeah, Cascade volcanoes are difficult, plus the elevation makes it worse

that's Mt Adams by the way :lol:

hobofoot

Post by hobofoot » March 17th, 2017, 8:30 am

High Krumb,

I'm an Oregon noob. I've been scouring the web for new hikes because I'm an avid hiker with miles and miles under me.

reading these posts is getting me anxious to hit some trails.

Wow, Mt Adam IS tall... almost a high as Mt. Borah.
If you ever make it to eastern-ish Idaho you should check out Mt. Borah.
It's one of my favorite hikes.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 17th, 2017, 11:30 am

hobofoot wrote:Wow, Mt Adam IS tall... almost a high as Mt. Borah.
Mt. Borah may be a little higher but it has far less prominence; 5,982 ft vs 8,116 ft for Mt. Adams, according to Wikipedia. For this reason our mountains seem bigger than their elevations alone would suggest, in my opinion.