Hello! New to Oregon and to Hiking.

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
jrosemiguel

Hello! New to Oregon and to Hiking.

Post by jrosemiguel » October 11th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer! I recently relocated from San Diego to a small town outside of Bend near Smith Rock. I am a current student and have been hiking for about a year. Since my arrival a week ago, I've hiked to Tumalo Falls in the Deschutes Forest from Skyliners Road. Typically, I prefer trails that are in the 7-10 mile range but would like to build up to more strenuous hikes. I am eager to learn more about Oregon and all of the different kinds of hiking that it has to offer! I only go on day hikes for now due to the fact that I don't have the gear for multi day trips. Eventually, I would really like to get into backpacking. I'm also looking forward to snowshoeing this winter! Thanks for reading my introduction. I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have for me.

Jennifer
Last edited by jrosemiguel on November 26th, 2016, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justpeachy

Re: Hello! New to Oregon and to Hiking.

Post by justpeachy » October 11th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Welcome, Jennifer! There are lots of great hikes near you. I really like the Diamond Peak Wilderness, which seems to be less crowded than the Three Sisters Wilderness. I've never snowshoed in the Bend area, but I'm sure others here will have some suggestions for you. :)

jrosemiguel

Post by jrosemiguel » October 11th, 2016, 9:24 pm

Thank you, Cheryl! It's great to be here. One of the main reasons why I decided to move to OR was for the wilderness/hiking. I will certainly have to put Diamond Peak on my to do list.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2016, 4:51 am

yeah, a lot of hiking around there, welcome

follow trip reports here, lots of hikes around there, the best varies by season

jrosemiguel

Post by jrosemiguel » October 12th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Thanks!
Jennifer